What the Ph ?!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is the Official OK Shooters Association Phở Thread!

After living in the OKC area for some time, I became introduced to and a huge fan of Phở. What is Phở you ask?

agastrolust.com_wp_content_uploads_2009_03_vietnam_restaurant_pho_500_2.jpg

Why, a beautifully delicious beef and noodle soup (that included green and white onion), served with an accompaniment of basil, cilantro, lime, bean sprouts, and sometimes jalapenos. You also "doctor" it with Sriracha (chili sauce) and Hoisin sauce (a sweet dipping sauce).

In OKC, I tried Phở Hoa and Mr. Phở . I also at Phở Sooner in Norman (I think it's been renamed) and Phở Lan right by my home in Moore. I liked Phở Hoa the best but all were good.

Well, today I found a place in Tulsa that serves it, which seems to be a more difficult task than in OKC, considering their extensive (for the Plains States, anyway) Asian District. I patronized Viet Huong, which was different but good. The onions were sliced thicker, the cilantro was on the side (rather than in the broth), the meat was whatever they felt like including and seemed a smaller quantity than I am used to, and they did not include fresh jalapenos in the "set up?"

But, there were a TON of noodles (good in my book), the small for $5.99 was as big as the mediums and larges I was used to ordering, and their gỏi cuốn (spring/summer roll) was HUGE and delicious.

Here's a gỏi cuốn, which was in my instance a shrimp and pork roll with vermicelli, mint, cilantro, and I think a bit of romaine lettuce, wrapped in rice paper:

[Broken External Image]

So, who else is a PhởFan? Any other places you guys like in particular? What are your favorite cuts of meat for your Phở? Where else in Tulsa is a good place to get Phở?

:)

jeffsoward

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love me some Pho. I try to take my sons to Pho Hoa every couple of weeks. There are several in OKC, but I alwys go back to Pho Hoa.

I found one in Ft. Worth, but haven't tried it yet. love the name;
[Broken External Image]

zseese

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I cant stand Pho, noodles and saltwater with a few chunks of meat and you have to spend your first few minutes seasoning it to taste instead of eating it, not for me personally, but the whole reason for the response is that it is actually pronounce "PHU", like what the PHU...which is just weird to me considering the spelling

Edit: I'm going to try again sometime, but not order with the tendon in it this next time, that was pretty nasty although the steak itself was good...

jeffsoward

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I cant stand Pho, noodles and saltwater with a few chunks of meat and you have to spend your first few minutes seasoning it to taste instead of eating it, not for me personally, but the whole reason for the response is that it is actually pronounce "PHU", like what the PHU...which is just weird to me considering the spelling

Edit: I'm going to try again sometime, but not order with the tendon in it this next time, that was pretty nasty although the steak itself was good...

You should try the # 11 at Pho Hoa. You really don't even have to season their broth.

Also, spelling vs pronunciation is due to it being Vietnamese. We can't even type the correct accents to make it right.:comfort:

jeffsoward

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Pho King...

:)

Next to Darque Tan as well, I see!

I know, that shopping center is full of win. you know that none of the people approving the building permits could pronounce Pho correctly or they never would have permitted the name.

I'll bet there motto is;
The best Pho is our Pho King Way!:mosh:

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pho fan here.

I like the one that is pronounced "Boombaway", which has the bloodcake in it.

But my normal order is the steak, fatty steak, brisket, soft tendon and tripe. (Tai Chin Nam Gan Sach) <- Sorry I dont spell in Vietnamese too well.

My usual places are Pho Hoa on 23rd and Pho Heiu on Reno and Mustang.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I've tried good pho and bad, if you haven't had Pho Hua, then I suggest you try it there. I'm sure there may be better pho restaurants around, but that's the best I've had.

There seems to be a lot of pho places popping up with clever names. Pho'nominal in Edmond, Air Pho One (or something similar) across the street from Tinker in MWC. I haven't tried Pho'nominal, but I have tried the place in MWC and it was ok, but still Pho Hua is worth the drive.

jeffsoward

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pho fan here.

I like the one that is pronounced "Boombaway", which has the bloodcake in it.

But my normal order is the steak, fatty steak, brisket, soft tendon and tripe. (Tai Chin Nam Gan Sach) <- Sorry I dont spell in Vietnamese too well.

My usual places are Pho Hoa on 23rd and Pho Heiu on Reno and Mustang.

I like Pho Hieu, but I'm a fan of the sweet broth, so I have to add a little sugar. They have some awesome cha gio.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not a fan of Viet Huong, I prefer Saigon palace at 21st and Garnett, we tried Pho Da Cao on 31st street west of mingo yesterday, Bo Bun Hue... check they got it, the pho was excellent and my wife said the clear noodle soup was the best she has had, better than it was at Mekong River back behind toys r us, which apparently was supposed to be pretty good.

Hmong Cafe at 31st and Garnett has good pho as well but they have excellent papya salad.

Geez you shoulda said something I would have pointed you to my neighborhood we have mexican and asian in my neck of tulsa.

Latest posts

Top Bottom