What the Ph ?!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Change of plans FGST is doing lunch at Junkyard Dawg tomorrow right up the street from me. Gonna eat there instead. Pho next week sometime.

OK let us know...

I scouted the Pho place out today, and tried El Super Pollo next to it...

Pretty disappointing after eating at El Pollo Regio and El Regio Loco in OKC.

But I am looking forward to Saigon Palace!

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As much as I like asian cuisine, and I do, weak broth bordering on being water, boiled meat and some veggies isn't my idea of an enjoyable meal. Works for peasants who can't afford anything else in Vietnam but not so much in America.

On the other hand there's guys where I work that love the stuff.

Each to his own - one of those things that make life worth living.

jeffsoward

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
...weak broth bordering on being water, boiled meat and some veggies...
So, I take it you've never had Pho Hoa then.
The broth they make is rich and flavorful, not watery at all.
They use different types of meat, for instance, in the # 11 you get sliced brisket and rare steak (technically raw slices that are cooked in the water, but wouldn't call it boiled at all since the bowl isn't boiling when they bring it out to you) and noodles with sliced onion, chopped scallions, and cilantro. Whatever else you add is up to you.
They also put alot of meat in the soup. they aren't stingy with it at all.

there are plenty of bad Pho houses, and even more mediocre Pho houses, but that doesn't make all of them fall under the description you've given.

And while it's a cheap food in Vietnam, it's a staple food for them. Everybody eats it there, not just poor people.

You are very correct, "to each his own" but, to quote Ralph Waldo Emerson, "People only see what they are prepared to see."

Latest posts

Top Bottom