What to use for rust prevention?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keppler

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've only been reloading for a couple of years but have been hunting and shooting all my life. My trouble is rust. It's something I been fighting I think all my life. What with the humidity here in Eastern Oklahoma and rainy days..not many of those lately... everything steel constantly rusts. I've taken to putting my firearms in gun socks but what can I do about dies and other reloading equipment? I've tried Eezzoxx (sp) and not to impressed. The directions say to spray it on, let it dry and it works. My problem is it never dries, let it sit for days and its still wet. So I wipe it down and it helps some but is there anything better? A lot of the dies and stuff don't get used very much and I was wondering what would be good for long term storage, say 6 months or so. Has anyone else had this problem and found something that helped?

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On the non-functioning parts where fingerprints always seem to get, wax works better than anything else I've tried. Picked up the trick while in Alaska where you can get 3 days straight rain while hunting. Wax is far more durable than oil or grease.

DrJeff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One option could be to take your dies out of the press. For example, the Dillon reloaders allow you to remove the die set as setup. The dies could be safely stored in a sealed container with rechargeable desiccant such as Safe Dri II. These are made in Tulsa. I get mine through www.tulsasafes.com They make watertight toolboxes that you can get at the larger hardware stores. These are useful watertight containers that help to control the environment for your metals.
Also, be aware of storing corrosives in the shop area. These might include chlorine for a pool, septic system, etc.

keppler

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for the ideas.

Rod, I use wax on my firearms when I put them away for the season, before they go into the gun socks. Works great on the metal and keeps the wood in great shape also. I had thought about it but have not tried it on the reloading stuff. Is there a brand or type that you like best?

DrJeff, I had thought of putting them in something like freezer bags but have been unable to find small desiccant bags to toss in with them. Are the ones your talking about small enough to do this? Great tip about the storage of house hold chemicals too. I've worked in the chemical field for years with everything from uranium to nerve agents and most of the time it's the common everyday chemical that will cause the most problems. It's something a lot of people wouldn't think about.

DANNY-L, I like the vacuum seal and may have to convince the wife we need one. Last time I looked at them they were reasonably priced and should pull out the moisture in the bag and prevent any from entering. I'll for sure take a closer look at these. Should work good for primers also.

flatwins and criticalbass, I drove up to Sports World in Tulsa the afternoon to pick up advance tickets to the big gun show. Of course I had to do a little shopping while we were there. Couldn't find the products you mentioned but did pick up a can of Birchwood Casey Barricade to try. It seems I heard or read about it awhile back and it had good reviews so I'll give it a try and see what happens.

Thanks to all again for the ideas.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rod, I use wax on my firearms when I put them away for the season, before they go into the gun socks. Works great on the metal and keeps the wood in great shape also. I had thought about it but have not tried it on the reloading stuff. Is there a brand or type that you like best?

Renaissance Wax (used in museums) is optimal, but I use Johnson's paste floor wax as often as not.

keppler

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rod, I also use Johnson's paste wax. A can is about a lifetime supply. I use it on the steel and the stocks. I have used Gun Stock Wax from Birchwood Casey...can't imagine why they called it that. Anyway it didn't seem any better than the Johnson's.

Jon, I also think the vacuum sealer is a real good idea. Wax or a light coat of oil before sealing and it seems like they would be good for a long time. Is one brand of sealer better than another or are they all about the same? I have never paid much attention to them and I'm guessing bags come in different sizes or do they come on a roll? I'll ask the wife when she comes home, she probably knows some about them.
Once again thanks for the replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom