What would you do?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Apparently I didn't make my question clear enough.

I am not asking about whether or not the shot should be taken. Obviously the right answer is not to take the shot - which is what we did. Without a good ID on the bird, neither of us were comfortable shooting, and that is the right and correct answer when hunting. Know what you're shooting at, know what's behind it - the Pheasant jumped and flew away, it was beautiful to see and we enjoyed the encounter thoroughly. It would be no different than having a doe tag in your pocket only to have a trophy buck walk by - no tag, no shot.

So, with that in mind. I can certainly see how an inexperienced but highly excited new bird hunter could have been in this situation and taken the shot - especially after taking a few Dove and 'getting the hang' of how fast they move and how quick on the shot you have to be. THAT was the scenario that prompted my question. I have no doubt that there are bird hunters out there that have bagged the wrong flyer. Goose hunters that mis-identify a snow goose for a Canadian, or a mallard for a wood, or a Starling for a dove, or even a Quail for a dove (or the other way around). Given the size of a pheasant compared to a Dove, I see that mistake being farther fetched, but still possible for an inexperienced hunter.

I know the first, best answer is don't take the shot.

I'm not asking for advice on what to do. It just got me thinking. If I brought a new hunter out with me and they screwed up and shot the wrong bird, how would it need to be handled. My brother has expressed an interest in coming out and hunting with us, but he's never hunted upland birds before. It was actually my wife that said "Man, your brother would have shot that for sure!" - that is what triggered the question.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The answer is to never shoot at anything that you don't have a positive ID for.

I'll say this, I've gone out with some folks that downed a hen pheasant when it flew into the sun which is illegal.
So now the question becomes do you just walk away, or call the Game Ranger and turn yourself in?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If he was still around I'd try for several hens. Problem is pen raised birds have a very high mortality rate with predation.
If the rooster managed to breed several hens, and one of them raised a clutch, you might lucky.

Pheasant are very specific about the area they live in, typically a lot of agriculture areas consisting of cereal grains, beans, etc, or big CRP areas.
If you have that, you might be able to get some started.

Don't know what county your in, but pheasant can only be hunted in the NW county's.

If your in the OKC area, all you can do is look at them.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This was a rooster. He was gorgeous! Do you think I could pick up a hen, if he sticks around?

The way I see it is a pen raised male pheasant has a better chance of getting the hen fertilized in the length of time he would survive from predators. A female pen raised bird would have to have enough intinct and flight capability to survive long enough for fertilization and incubation to occur.

It is not a scientific answer, just my opinion.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Yes, they are nutty little birds. Fun to watch.

I've only had the chance to hunt them once. I would go again, but really you need dogs to do it efficiently. Something tells me our GSD wouldn't be good for flushing pheasant. (but it'd be funny to watch!)

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Yes, they are nutty little birds. Fun to watch.

I've only had the chance to hunt them once. I would go again, but really you need dogs to do it efficiently. Something tells me our GSD wouldn't be good for flushing pheasant. (but it'd be funny to watch!)

No dog needed when they're thick, or if you're a blocker(my favorite, I'm the worlds best blocker:) ) Pheasant are good stand entertainment, especially when they jump up and flog a milo head to knock the seeds off.

justin_h635

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
No dog needed when they're thick, or if you're a blocker(my favorite, I'm the worlds best blocker:) ) Pheasant are good stand entertainment, especially when they jump up and flog a milo head to knock the seeds off.

A deer that is on my wall was observed through my scope for a while prior to shooting. All I will remember is that while watching him in the CRP, the pheasant were exploding all around him from under his neck and filling my scope lens. I swear I could read his mind as he kept glancing from bird to bird under his nose . It was a sight that I see on my property but to see it at full power through a scope then pulling the trigger made it extra special.

Latest posts

Top Bottom