whats a good dressed weight?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First of all, congrats on getting your first deer! Its an exciting day for deer hunters when we get our first. Got mine 30 years ago and can still remember it like it just happened.:D
According to the ODW the "average" weight for does is 90 lbs, and the "average" weight for a buck is 120lbs.

That being said, your location in the state makes the difference. In the NW does weighing 140 lbs+ are not unheard of.
In the SE part of the state, a doe will go below 90lbs.
Depends on the age and the area of the state, is the bottom line for average weight. You did just fine!:D

Reaction score
1.5 year old does are almost always in that 77-83 lb range, seems to me, in all parts of the state. Just how it is. Nothing wrong with that - good eating.

Bucks can vary more widely, depending on the area. But usually 1.5 years olds field dress 90-110, 2.5 year olds 110-130, and 3.5 year olds, 130-150 and up. Older than that, they can go up to 175-200 and over, espec. in western/northern parts. In my limited experience.

Latest posts

Top Bottom