What's cooking tonight?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have found for larger beef ribs the 3-2-1 method is a good general base line for my 225 smokes. I adjust, depending on pork or beef and what size they are. I use 2-1-1 or so as a base for Baby Backs checking near the end of time. Other variables are the temp you are cooking, your individual smoker, outdoor humidity, individual pieces of meat, what your preferences are for tenderness and how dry or sticky you might want the finish to be.

We all strive for our own personal view of perfection, just have to keep practicing and destroying the mistakes. Even a bad smoke is usually edible. A tender boneless smoked rib meat sandwich sounds pretty good right now, might have to go dig around in the freezer for a little snack.

Got to try the bacon wrapped corn, that sounds great. Thanks for sharing that idea.

tntrex

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You guys eating good. I just had a ham sandwich because im somehow fixing a fence that belongs to a neighbor that another neighbors cows went thru.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did do some of the corn, too, by the way. I used toothpicks to hold it, and I did 3 pieces of bacon per trimmed ear. Worked out quite well and the corn was very nice and flavorful. :D Gonna play around a bit with the ribs, time, temp, etc. Hard to beat my plain ol' smoked ribs, the wife says, but I'm always open to experimenting with my meat. :D

Err.... within reason. Maybe playing with my meat is a better phrase?

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
They fell apart. Way too long, way too overcooked. My smoker runs a little hotter than 225, but definitely at 3 hours they were close to ready to eat - I usually do babybacks 3 hours, St. Louis more like 4-5... but then I wrapped 'em and did 2 more hours and they were totally falling apart. St. Louis I don't think I like as much, either... large layer of fat in-between muscle layers, the cartilaginous end... babybacks are much simpler and if you pick a decent rack have tons of meat on them. I never got past 3-2- to 1 because they were falling apart so bad. Not good... either need to cut the time way back or cut the heat way back. I may experiment some more, but they are much better as "pulled" rib meat as a sammich than they were as ribs.

Just my opinion.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Meh.... the ones I put on the smoker raw were... ok. Tasted like mildly smoky hard-boiled eggs. The ones I boiled, peeled and put on the smoker got a little more smoke, but a very rubbery/chewy outside layer - did not like, really, at all. The ones I hard-boiled, left in the shells and put on the smoker I haven't tried yet.

Overall, I don't see it as something I'll likely try again... just didn't "grab" me.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They fell apart. Way too long, way too overcooked. My smoker runs a little hotter than 225, but definitely at 3 hours they were close to ready to eat - I usually do babybacks 3 hours, St. Louis more like 4-5... but then I wrapped 'em and did 2 more hours and they were totally falling apart. St. Louis I don't think I like as much, either... large layer of fat in-between muscle layers, the cartilaginous end... babybacks are much simpler and if you pick a decent rack have tons of meat on them. I never got past 3-2- to 1 because they were falling apart so bad. Not good... either need to cut the time way back or cut the heat way back. I may experiment some more, but they are much better as "pulled" rib meat as a sammich than they were as ribs.

Just my opinion.

Gotcha. For my 2-3-1 ribs, I run it at about 165 degrees. That's for baby backs.

Latest posts

Top Bottom