What's in your feeder?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weav199

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The past two years the acorns have been too plentiful for the deer to really go for the corn I put out. I have my feeder in the center of a plot that I alternate turnips, oats and sometimes bagged mixes. Still only second fiddle to their fav food. I'm really fortunate that oaks are the dominant tree in my neck of the woods. That, and how many times do you see scat with persimmon seeds in it? Watch you persimmon trees too!

Kingmarine

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We also have a lot of oak trees but the does still come in for the corn prerut and during the rut. As long as I keep them happy I should see some bucks around too. I planted some bur oak trees down near the cabin and near where I hunt as they have some massive acorns and will feed well in the future I hope.

angsniper

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Just corn. I've tried protein pellets (can't remember what kind) and the der wouldn't touch it. The stuff laid on the ground for months until it finally dissolved from rain.

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had great luck mixing 50lbs corn with 50lbs 16% protien pellets. The protien is a bit more than the corn (about $16/50lb) but the volume of feed is about 25% more at least. Deer seem to eat it up and it provides them with additional nutrition.

jamesfpop

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used sweet feed, corn, and bird food mix 1:1:1 all last year. They kept coming back every day! But you must buy when it goes on sale. Otherwise it is really expensive. Use tube feeders instead of spinner until this year. I also have heard that vanilla extract poured into a feeder attracts from a good distance too.

Forgot to mention, at one of my hunting spots, the deer follow the feed truck with the broken cake box door. They can be spotted within minutes getting a tasty morsel after hearing the truck roll by in the morning.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
the deer follow the feed truck with the broken cake box door. They can be spotted within minutes getting a tasty morsel after hearing the truck roll by in the morning. This. The deer in my area are trained about like a few cows. I use a pelleted creep feed to feed the wildlife. Or a sweet feed whatever is cheaper by the ton. Corn is only going to get higher. I make several piles of feed around the feeders when about gone turn feeders on. Then post rut I'll just click off some cow feed in a line every so often to help them out going into winter.

Kingmarine

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses.

I have some good ideas to implement next year since the feeder is this year. I did manage to find granulated molasses, but not at TSC or the other feed store mentioned, nor any feed store I called in OKC. Stillwater Milling Company has it so am going to sprinkle a little of that in with the corn this year and see how that works. So I have the feeder and now have to average (in weight) how much comes out when it comes on and ensure that there is enough in there to last at least until I get to the cabin come October. Guess I could always make another trip if necessary.

Hog Shooter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is a pretty long stretch, we usually fill ours every week, but only use whole corn in a slinger from bow season through Jan. The rest of the year we feed out of half barrel troughs made from plastic barrels. We pour in 50lbs of corn and then add 5gal. of raw molasses, deer come in almost year round. We also trap coons in the area cause they become a little greedy. Turkeys don't come in to this mix, but hammer our raw corn.

Latest posts

Top Bottom