Whats the scare about Automatic Transmission Flushes???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I change every 50,000 miles on 6.0 powerstroke. Change the external filter and drain 7qts of fluid out, it holds 17 but only 7 will drain out. I've never changed the main internal filter and just turned 277,000 miles and the old fluid looks just like the new fluid going in. An aftermarket tranny gauge is a must on a puller.

whiskeysnoot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personally, I believe transmission flushes are the devil and a sucker deal. Push the fluid backwards through the filter?? Dislodging all the crap the filter was meant to catch?? Would you do this with your engine oil and filter? I know, the price is appealing vs. fluid and filter change but I believe that a flush is either worthless or damaging (even to point of failure).

I have had more than a couple seasoned tranny mechs tell me to either change fluid and filter at prescribed intervals or never.

Blinocac200sx

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you properly maintain your tranny, including regular flushes, it's fine. The ones that go out after a flush, have alot of miles on original fluid, and were on their way out anyway.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personally, I believe transmission flushes are the devil and a sucker deal. Push the fluid backwards through the filter?? Dislodging all the crap the filter was meant to catch?? Would you do this with your engine oil and filter? I know, the price is appealing vs. fluid and filter change but I believe that a flush is either worthless or damaging (even to point of failure).

I have had more than a couple seasoned tranny mechs tell me to either change fluid and filter at prescribed intervals or never.
Its a scam to get you into theyre shops.... :!

XPerties

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are flushes and fluid exchanges. Flushes are bad! A machine pushes fluid in the opposite direction and fluid exchange exchange fluid with new while keeping the flow in the proper direction. I have a 05 Ford F150 and change mine with Amsoil every 40-60k, depending on temp but I unlike most vehicles I actually have a external temp reader so I can monitor temps on my tranny.

You can always do it yourself, fluid exchange. I also use a Magnefine magnet filter coming off the cooler. Here is a video of what I did:

Here is a video after one year of using the Magnefine filter. Of course I didn't know I would have audio issues so there is no sound but there was a ton of crap it caught.

Now my wifes Ford explorer sport trac is a closed system and I took it to ford and had fluid exchange at 65k.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Top Bottom