What's your preferred method of case cleaning...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
... and why?

I just got a reloading setup for Christmas, and am trying to figure out how I want to do do it. I have tons of filthy range brass waiting for the press!

Nimaro

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Vibratory tumbler with a cap of nu finish and a used dryer sheet. you can get cheap media at the pet store, look for the lizzard bedding made of crushed walnut

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an ultrasonic cleaner and a vibratory case cleaner. I much prefer the vibratory cleaner. I didn't like using water as a solvent and hated having to dry the cases each time and worry about any moisture remaining. With the vibratory cleaner you can separate your brass from the media and you are good to go. I recommend the Dillon media separator. Nu Finish car polish and a used dryer sheet will certainly get your brass looking like new.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Vibratory tumbler with a cap of nu finish and a used dryer sheet. you can get cheap media at the pet store, look for the lizzard bedding made of crushed walnut

Pretty much what I've done for roughly 40 years. Except I still buy the regular tumbler media. I just feel like the extra cost is offset by quicker cleaning. YMMV Also I've used a couple other polish brands with similar experience. And just so you know the dryer sheets are just to help hold down the dust.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have cleaned brass many ways..
Dust is my enemy , that is what my dies tell me..
I spent countless hours removing dust and chasing the carbon out of primer pockets.
Just recently i built a tumbler and use copper pins and the lemishine mix that was stated.

My brass never looked so clean and no more carbon in the case or the primer pocket.

Yes some do not worry about a little carbon..
I do that stuff as it ages gets really hard and will find it's way into the barrel ..
I shoot a bunch and my .308 savage will produce .376" groups with my hunting loads...If there is no wind!! Like we see that very often..But during windy days it is always under .75"
So i want to keep everything as clean and carbon / dust free as i can.
You can do it with a vibratory..but takes many more steps and much more time.

I have about 2 bucks in my home made pin tumbler.. this is it...has been modified and tweaked.
http://www.handloadersbench.com/forum99/23395.html

TCummings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recently picked up a small ultrasonic cleaner, and I also use a Lyman vibratory tumbler, both work well for me. It is kind of a pain having to dry the cases out of the ultrasonic cleaner but man they sure do come out nice and shiny.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I rinse my brass after the water cleaning method with hot hot water ..then shake off the water. and lay on a towel.
6 hours later all dry..
I remove primers with a universal primer decapper before i clean them..
You may want to look into one of them if you do not already have one

Latest posts

Top Bottom