What's your preferred method of case cleaning...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tumbleweed

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A Thumler's Tumbler with Lemishine, Dawn and stainless steel media.

^This but Sunlight instead of Dawn. It's like $.98 at dollar general.

I use a lingerie bag to dry it. Just hang it, and periodically tumble by hand to dump any water trapped in the cases. A buddy of mine taught me this and it works great. He uses a leaf blower with the lingerie bag to blow the water out of the brass, then hangs it to dry.

Last edited:

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For most of my cleaning, I use the Nu-Finish and vibratory tumbler. If they're REALLY dirty, I use the Lock-N-Load Sonic cleaner FIRST, then run them through the tumbler (after using the air compressor to blow off all excess water).

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
swampratt - Now, you're gonna' make me register at handloadersbench, since I can't see the pics you posted there! OR ... you could just post them here! Sounds like something I'm gonna' have to try!

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lots of pics lots of info on building your own from trash..
The handloadersbench if full of good guys. NO bS no trash talking..Lot's of knowledge there.
let's see if i can figure a pic dcmotor 001.jpg

A DC motor from a treadmill (Big trash) then the rollers from it mounted in an old file cabinet.
Used a V8 bottle and some Copper pins i made from some THHN wire.
All i can say is wow..so much easier to clean..Results i strive for ..tried to get them that clean in my vibratory with all kinds of concoctions..
I even bought 36 bucks worth of round glass beads..That worked great..These were large blast media beads and made the brass feel like silk when removed..But carbon was still in them pockets.
Unacceptable...If you are going to clean something ...You are better off getting it all clean like new...

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lots of pics lots of info on building your own from trash..
The handloadersbench if full of good guys. NO bS no trash talking..Lot's of knowledge there.
let's see if i can figure a picView attachment 25580

A DC motor from a treadmill (Big trash) then the rollers from it mounted in an old file cabinet.
Used a V8 bottle and some Copper pins i made from some THHN wire.
All i can say is wow..so much easier to clean..Results i strive for ..tried to get them that clean in my vibratory with all kinds of concoctions..
I even bought 36 bucks worth of round glass beads..That worked great..These were large blast media beads and made the brass feel like silk when removed..But carbon was still in them pockets.
Unacceptable...If you are going to clean something ...You are better off getting it all clean like new...

What gauge of wire did you use to make your pins? how long?

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used 1/0 for the initial .. then later tried smaller
It is not really picky on wire diameter.thick ones are like .074"
and the smaller wire size i tried is like .048" to .065" off the top of my head.
The pins i cut at all different lengths..up to 1/2" long..

There is a guy on HB in the same link i posted that built one from an old printer..
He used stranded 10 gauge wire.
Thing is you will never know till you try it...
If anyone around here is close and wants some of their brass tossed into my home made cleaner..I will be more than happy to clean some for you ....
Then if you like the results you can make your own...or buy a thumblers or a sonic cleaner..as those also work really well

Last edited:

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Everybody seems to have a strong preference for clean primer pockets. I do too. However, on all my long range brass, I use a primer pocket uniformer after each loading. The brass flows back into the pocket, so uniforming is something I do after each reload. It just so happens that the uniformer cleans the residue in the primer pocket. I don't have to deal with the water this way.

Latest posts

Top Bottom