What's your preferred method of case cleaning...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1911Kevin

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The same way I do it, only I de-cap the brass first. Even the primer pockets are spotless.

Do exactly the same. Brass look brand new when done, but it is more work than a standard tumbler.

After rinsing, and re-rinsing to ensure all of the soap is gone, I spread them out on some cheap window screens from Lowe's for a few days to dry.

I'm sure all this work will make me shoot better, right???

Dr_Mitch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was using a tumbler, but didn't like the dust. I also needed it to tumble my prepped rifle cases, and didn't want to use dirty media. So, I only use the tumbler for cleaning prepped rifle brass now, and am washing all my dirty brass in a five-gallon bucket of hot water and liquid dish detergent. I am manually agitating it. In February I'll be buying a concrete mixer from Harbor Freight, and using that to clean a couple thousand cases at a time. , and will likely buy some of those stainless steel pins to use in the mixer. I'm drying the brass on a towel on top of the trampoline in the back yard, or using the oven set at 200-300 degrees. Usually air drying on the towel.

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you have a garage sink and don't mind the few extra steps then a Thumbler. Brass looks like new inside and out. The water and keeping track of the pins is kind of a PITA. I do go up to about 4 lbs of brass per load, a bit over the 2 lbs recommendation. I got a Chinese rare earth magnet for $10 and it sucks up those loose pins. I use a garden hose and do all the rinsing in my driveway to avoid the carbon fouled water in my house sinks. I did large batches in the fall to get me a stockpile so I don't have to mess with the brass in the winter.
I still have my vibratory tumblers, but they are dusty, don't clean the brass great and the media residue does get in my dies.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After you use the rotary tumblers with water and pins the brass is wet. Could you put it into a cloth bag and dry it in a clothes dryer? I know that would be noisy. I am wanting to get that set up and have read that drying the brass is the worst part. the pics I have seen are why I want to try it. The clean primer pockets look nice.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
tumbler with corn cob and dryer sheets

This except I add a scoop of nufinish car polish also. I tumble all mine before I deprime then if it's some that I'm full length resizing then I'll toss it back in I have skipped that step and tumbled loaded ammunition to remove lube residue. I mostly neck size my brass and use a Lyman universal decapper I tried the lemishine dawn and hot water and it did get the brass shiny but drying it seemed like a huge pita to me so I went back to the tumbler. I manually clean all my primer pockets when chamfer and deburring any way so dirty primer pocket problem solved without water. Dingy brass has never kept me from shooting good groups or taking game either though.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought an ultra sonic cleaner last year and won't go back!
Quick and easy, comes out looking new(ish) after 10 min.
Blow out the casings then I take Q-tips to wipe the primer pockets and insides with.
But I usually only load small batches at a time, if I was doing 1000 at a time I probably wouldn't do it that way.

OkieGentleman

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Harbor Freight Tools, one is located in Norman at 151 12th Ave SE on the East side of town and one at 5805 W.Reno in OKC, carries
25 lbs. Fine Grade Walnut Shell Blast Media - item#92155 Only: $24.99 Sale: $22.99. Do not get the Medium grit as it will block jam in the primer holes. This is almost a life time supply if you use a used dryer sheet and some NU Finish car wax. Just thought I would add my 2Cents

You can call them to make sure they have it in stock OKC is 405-815-9919 Norman 405-329-4440

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom