When buying my first hand gun.....?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dagmarcharity

New to the site!
Reaction score
being new to owning a hand gun, which is the simplest to use as far as loading and firing,and has the least kickback, also safe. please no reponses like ,, why do you want a gun , that would be another story, but for just protection i would like to own a hand gun.also i don't like a real heavy gun. i am thinking 9mm, but if someone knows about guns give me your thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Get some training first. Don't buy a gun until you have been trained on safe handling procedures. The training will expose you to different varieties of guns and allow you to purchase the right one wisely. In the long run you'll save money by investing in training first.

lkothe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If they have them in New York, go to a gun range and rent a few guns that feel comfortable in your hand. Then narrow your choice down by feedback, price and IF your gun laws will allow it.
Glock, S&W, etc etc are all good choices.

Dr_Mitch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Buy a Glock 17 or 19. Take a safety class or a defensive shooting class. Keep your finger off the trigger until you're ready to fire. Your finger is the primary safety.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
being new to owning a hand gun, which is the simplest to use as far as loading and firing,and has the least kickback, also safe. please no reponses like ,, why do you want a gun , that would be another story, but for just protection i would like to own a hand gun.also i don't like a real heavy gun. i am thinking 9mm, but if someone knows about guns give me your thoughts.

Ditto to the comments about getting some training in basic weapons safety and handling/employment techniques. A good place to start looking is on the National Rifle Association (NRA) training web site - here: http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx
I'd suggest if you truly have had no previous firearms training that you start by searching for the "NRA First Steps Pistol Orientation" and then follow-up with "NRA Basic Pistol Shooting" - good luck.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Your question leaves more questions than answers. You want it for self defense? Are you wanting to carry it concealed?
Your state laws have recently changed. Bring us up to speed.

lee1000

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get the one that fits your hands best.

Get training

If there is a chance you carry it make sure it is a fairly small one. My Glock 26 is a little wide but it holds 12+1 rounds with the Glock extention. I did have ejection issues with it but Glock fixed it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

lee1000

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh, always make sure you remove the mag before cycling the slide. Cycling the slide with a loaded mag will load another round in the chamber making the gun hot (loaded). Not doing this is how a lot people end up shooting themselves. Some guns have a magazine disconnect that prevents the firearm from firing without a mag installed, I'm told that they negativity effect trigger pull though, I know it did on my Ruger MKIII.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In 9mm I would suggest the following:

Glock 19
S&W M&P
S&W M&P Shield (single stack and easier to conceal)

There are plenty of others out there, but I have experience with the ones above and would recommend all of them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom