Where can a felon get a job?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The thread about a felon going to the shooting range brought me to this.

We have a relative that recently got out of prison after a 7 year stint for meth and theft to support the meth.

Served full time, no parole.

He had no issues/infractions while in a minimum security facility.

He wants to get to work, and get on with his life. Early 40's.

Where does a person get a job that overlooks a record?

I keep looking in the want ads, and most say a clean background. I'm assuming that would include him.

Oil fields in North Dakota? Gulf Coast?

Jestik

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a man who works with oil pipeline companies, I want you to know that they take site security and safety very strongly, and his record (and the fact that it was with drugs) would be a non-starter.

I don't want this to turn into a where NOT to get a job, so I would recommend that he speak with one of the agencies that deals with placing convicted felons in employment opportunities.

elwoodtrix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a man who works with oil pipeline companies, I want you to know that they take site security and safety very strongly, and his record (and the fact that it was with drugs) would be a non-starter.

I don't want this to turn into a where NOT to get a job, so I would recommend that he speak with one of the agencies that deals with placing convicted felons in employment opportunities.

Sonic...

Mike_60

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is a tough one. We also have a relative who has a felony on his record (30ish). Its several years old and he's turned his life around but getting a "good" job has been elusive so far. He's even attended school attempting to increase his qualifications for a better paying career. I think employers have a fairly large pool to choose from right now so someone with a felony is just normally SOL.

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Check carefully into this and don't assume a felony is an automatic disqualifer. Violent felonies, mostly. However, there are some exemptions depending on the employer.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Check carefully into this and don't assume a felony is an automatic disqualifer. Violent felonies, mostly. However, there are some exemptions depending on the employer.

Yes there are. My ex employer didn't have an issue with a non violent felon, but he doesn't have the skill set to get him into that employer.

He has some plumbing, Oil Field, and Farming background.

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If he is in shape and under 40 years of age he can join the French Foreign Legion. He can retire after 15 years of service. His criminal record will be erased and he will be given a new name. If he does not speak French, it is unimportant; knowledge of French will be acquired in training.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If he is in shape and under 40 years of age he can join the French Foreign Legion. He can retire after 15 years of service. His criminal record will be erased and he will be given a new name. If he does not speak French, it is unimportant; knowledge of French will be acquired in training.

Ha Ha! I think that was the deal back in the day, but not sure if its going on now. Do you have a link?

Latest posts

Top Bottom