Where can a felon get a job?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know what rigs you have been on, but many drillers and tool men won't put up with that **** one bit. If you find a driller or tool man that is a user, move on to another rig, the number of doped up roughnecks are a lot lower than 90%. Especially on company owned rigs.

Drug use is extremely common on all drill rigs. They have to run drug tests every week, and these guys find ways to skirt the tests. Certain drugs, like "bath salts" don't even have a test yet. These guys are very good at hiding it. I personally know the drug policy enforcer for a drill company, it is a constant battle.

Do you remember the Rig Manager that jumped off a 6-story drill platform a couple years ago? He was making 160K overseeing the operation and was cracked out on bath salts. That was here in Oklahoma on a company rig. This guy was in charge of the rig and doped up. It is rampant problem.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Drug use is extremely common on all drill rigs. They have to run drug tests every week, and these guys find ways to skirt the tests. Certain drugs, like "bath salts" don't even have a test yet. These guys are very good at hiding it. I personally know the drug policy enforcer for a drill company, it is a constant battle.

Do you remember the Rig Manager that jumped off a 6-story drill platform a couple years ago? He was making 160K overseeing the operation and was cracked out on bath salts. That was here in Oklahoma on a company rig. This guy was in charge of the rig and doped up. It is rampant problem.
Well, I won't continue to argue about it after this post. I work out here in the oil patch and although there are drugs it is nowhere near the 90% you say it is.

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If he is in Oklahoma, have him check at a local Workforce Oklahoma (Oklahoma Unemployment Center). Most center's have someone that specializes in work rehab for felons. It is a HUGE problem here in Oklahoma. Also, Express Personnel (temp agency), helped me out a lot back when I had a scar on my record keeping me from getting any good jobs.

As far as oilfield work, he is better looking into smaller places than large companies. Larger companies will have more red tape, preventing him evening being considered. If he's truly changed his life around, the man deserves to be judged face to face rather than on a piece of paper, and he won't get that at a bigger company.

Roustabout/ oilfield service companies come to mind right off hand. There are lots of smaller one's out there. Best job I ever had was being a roustabout. Work sucked, it was hard, and didn't make killer money, but it was steady, consistent, and they treated you like a human being, steady raises, and good people to work around.

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I won't continue to argue about it after this post. I work out here in the oil patch and although there are drugs it is nowhere near the 90% you say it is.

Everyone see's a different side of it. Rig hands/casing crews seem to be the worst part of it from my experience. 4+ years on a rig, I never worked on a clean rig, even with some of the "best" drug testing policies I've seen to date. Last rig I was one, there were 2 sober people out of the 3 crews, company man, and toolpusher, and I was one of them. Sucked for me the other sober guy wasn't on my crew, he was working daylight tour (another rig hand, both co man and pusher were on meth).

You get away from the drilling side of things, is when you start getting into the cleaner work. Completion, roustabout, rat hole crews, etc....

Latest posts

Top Bottom