Where can a felon get a job?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JaredC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I worked on drilling rigs and rigs in general, I worked along side felons all the time. Not just drug convictions either. Worked with a few that had served 20 years at max security and were assigned to level 4 yard........ So needless to say, they didnt care when they needed people. If he can pass a drug test, has a drivers license and can show up to work and likes to work, he can get on a rig.

The only caveat is he has to find somewhere that is taking new hires, without experience, which isn't always the case, since it generally takes 3 months on a rig to get a good grasp on things, more if they are slow.

He should look into it. I haven't been on a rig in years, and all my contacts are in California, so I don't even know what company to tell you to start at. But if he can get on, he won't make better money doing anything else if he sticks it out.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
my B-I-L did time for meth and is a convicted felon. he now makes 150k as a contract directional driller on the western slope of colorado. there is hope.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tons of felon rough necks.....
Sadly most of them that work for smaller oil companies are.
We have to deal with them all the time and they arnt the greatest of guys or lives the best life style. But they make good money and will hire anyone willing to work.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Loan him your mower,etc and help him start a mowing service. Mowing, window washing are inexpensive

To get started in

This was my first thought when I saw this thread. There are guys around here making $50-70k mowing and landscaping. I mowed through high school and part of college, but that was nearly 30 years ago. People weren't as lazy and wouldn't pay much back then, but today, everyone seems to get their yard done and pay real money for the service.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Smaller drilling companies will hire convicted non-violent felons all day. I'd say about 2/3 of the felons I know with drug convictions work for these small outfits.

Most of the rest I know work in welding shops building custom oilfield equipment. A couple work in fast food, but they're the type with no ambition and low self esteem.

One I know works closely with various drug enforcement programs, but I don't know many people with respect for people who use those sorts of tactics.

Latest posts

Top Bottom