Where can a felon get a job?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
9/11 changed the employment situation in many ways. I retired from a large international chemical firm, and was unable to hire anyone with a felony conviction. It didn't matter what it was for, or how long ago it was. Chemical facility fell under "Chemical Facility Anti-Terrorist Standards" and we were almost at the level of our friend Infowars Rebel. Way too much over reaction now. There are many ex-felons that would make great employees. We need some business owners to step up and creat some opportunities.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips and pm,s. We will do what we can to get him started, the rest is up to him.

If you were willing/able to stake him to travel and expenses, I'd say you ought to point him toward the oilfields of TX or ND. Lots of lower skill opportunities that would give him a leg up on using some of his skills for higher pay as time goes along. Plenty of OT according to many articles I've seen.

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Drilling Contractors. Cactus. Helmerich & Payne. Unit.

I would try Cactus first.

And tell him to be straight up about it, the patch doesn't mind giving do-overs, but it hates liars. But even in the patch, there will be places that won't take a chance.

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you know anyone who runs a harvest crew? That would be a good way to get back into the work force and develop some references while earning some money.

Good Luck!

Cedar Creek

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Alot of auto body and mechanic shops will hire guys with records providing they have the skills and theyre honest. My younger brother runs my dads old shop and he has been down that road himself- dealing meth on the side got him busted- now he gives back by hiring ex cons. A family friend of ours was a parole officer and he sent my brother many good mechanics and painters.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have worked for a midstream pipeline company before that had at least one guy that had done 4 years in Big Mac for meth. Most companies like that won't take people that has a recent record but some will. And like stated above, lots of oilfield companies on the drilling side will hire someone in his situation. Good luck, and hopefully the reform takes! :)

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some of the laws against felons are ridiculous! I can't understand why it's okay for a felon to be bartender at a beer bar but they can't get a liquor license to work at a full bar.

If he is really drug free, that can work to his advantage. So many places do drug testing now, he can offer up that he will offer to be tested anytime they want to show he is clean.

No kidding about Sonic. I know of several felons that were working at NW 23rd & Penn ...

elwoodtrix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Check carefully into this and don't assume a felony is an automatic disqualifer. Violent felonies, mostly. However, there are some exemptions depending on the employer.

There was a girl that worked on my route that had just got paroled from 2nd degree murder(served 16 years out of a 30 year sentence), she left to go work for Sonic... there's a guy that works for a company I deliver to that served 15 years for rape and lewd acts with a child under 16.... another kid that just got out after serving 7 years for armed robbery also works on my route

Last edited:

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are some industrial painting contractors out there that will hire anyone that is willing to work hard, has a DL, and will show up for work.

If he can get on with an industrial contractor, they will pay better than new rez, or commercial, but, he needs to be forewarned, it's dirty, nasty, filthy work, and it's hard. He probably wouldn't be able to get into a federal facility of any kind, but if he can pass a drug test he can probably work in someone's laydown yard or in a petrochem facility.

Or, Gun World, he could try there. :P

Latest posts

Top Bottom