Where to buy an engine? builder reviews? opnions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are several examples of mod motors making over 500hp, NA

Prove it. Show me ONE. I've never seen or heard of one. I personally never seen one break 350whp, let alone 400whp or 500whp. I am not trying to be "know it all", and I'm not saying it's impossible. I do pay attention to Engine Masters - mod motors just make 450 HP crank. I'm ready to learn though.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seems to me that the 6.0 would be the LS builders choice (no replacement for...) but the largest Ford "mod" V8 at 5.8 liters was just introduced for the 2013 model year - again correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd guess most builders would go with the well known 5.4.

I would put 5.3L LS against 5.4L MOD Ford.

Ford messed up in the design
- too much stroke = no RPM
- OHC is limited in lift so you have to put big valves in there, but there is not enough bore to do. Solution - 4 valves, but to make 4 Valve work - you have to rev it - oooops, too much stroke.
It's catch 22 that ends in no power.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So mo. Do you have to do any planning ahead on a motor If you plan on a turbo or charger later down the road?

Sure ... having big picture in mind right away saves money in the long run. Prep work depends on the HP goals - sub 600whp, not much needs to be done - basically cam package and maintenance as required, let the FI do the rest of the work.

buckeye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mo - thanks for the insight. :) It's a shame they made those choices. They do know how to tune a very nice exhaust note, however. Edit: wait, since when is OHC limited in lift? Why would that be any different (at the end of the day) than OHV? And how do you overcome all the "extra" valvetrain weight of an OHV to get it to rev? It was my understanding that OHV is usually engineered more for low end power to avoid the valve float at high RPM and whatnot.

roachjuice - not really sure what to make of your semiliterate ramble. All I know is that my ~170 horsepower Made in Hiroshima makes me happy. Git 'er done, son.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
wait, since when is OHC limited in lift? Why would that be any different (at the end of the day) than OHV? And how do you overcome all the "extra" valvetrain weight of an OHV to get it to rev? It was my understanding that OHV is usually engineered more for low end power to avoid the valve float at high RPM and whatnot.

Different designs have different geometric lift limitations:

OHC bucket - the diameter of the bucket

OHC follower/rocker - distance from cam axis to rocker axis, some designs have plenty of room at the expense of packaging - have you seen how wide Ford cammer is?

OHV pushrod - size of cam bearing, but since rocker ratio is independent the lift is very flexible.

As far as valve train weight - it's supported by the "strength" of the valve spring - they've gotten very good at it. In all honesty - before the mass production of cathedral port design - everyday pushrod engines were not much to write home about (obviously now they got square and rec. ports that are even better).

No doubt, OHC is more efficient design, but only when capitalized on its benefits - 4 (or 5) valves per cylinder, high efficiency head design, bottom end designed to utilize the first two. And you don't have to fantasize about Formula1 to see it in action - just look at modern liter bikes.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Prove it. Show me ONE. I've never seen or heard of one. I personally never seen one break 350whp, let alone 400whp or 500whp. I am not trying to be "know it all", and I'm not saying it's impossible. I do pay attention to Engine Masters - mod motors just make 450 HP crank. I'm ready to learn though.

Ford's own Cammer 5.0 motor in "man racer" trim makes 550 hp. There are others. I'm not going to do your research for you.

Latest posts

Top Bottom