Where to buy an engine? builder reviews? opnions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those are awesome! I want one for my Landcruiser!!! I've been wanting to do an engine swap for a long time. I had been really considering a 5.7 aluminum LS1. This is much more expensive but would be totally killer.

For the money you can have a killer 5.3 + ProCharger setup in that Cruiser. Give me a call if you are seriously interested.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yo MO

Seriously,.. Do you just not like to work on fords or are you just partial to other stuff? What do you charge to dyno? I'm not wanting to make 500 or a thousand HP just 300 give or take. Can you help me out on that?

PUMPKIN

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i335.photobucket.com_albums_m475_Ashlee_Gutierrez_stuff_img_nitrous_bottle_1.jpg

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yo MO

Seriously,.. Do you just not like to work on fords or are you just partial to other stuff? What do you charge to dyno? I'm not wanting to make 500 or a thousand HP just 300 give or take. Can you help me out on that?

It's not like that, I'm good with Fords - we are building two bad-A Lightnings as we speak (one big blower, one big turbo). As I said - I don't care what the valve cover says (or even if it has one .... rotary shout-out LOL). Ford, Chevy, Dodge, imports - it don't matter once you put forced induction on - the gloves are off.

I'm not partial to anything - I can just tell you what in my opinion is the best bang for your buck. And everyone is entitled to an opinion - mine is backed up by dyno and track numbers.

We got Dyno-Day Wednesdays - $40 for two pulls with AFR all day first come first serve.

Bring the car by - I can make some suggestions with your goals and budget in mind.

P.S. The reasons I recommend modern chevys for swaps are:
- heads flow great out of the box
- can be had for dance and song
- factory computer is fantastic
- lots of well developed cams to choose from
- can have great power and gas milage, even NA

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh, the infamous internet name drop game ... let me guess ...

1) Ford owner?
2) Haven't raced in a few years?
3) Been reading internet about how great that engine on your stand could be?

I personally don't care what the valve cover says - I've been building cars for living for 10 years, anything from Civics to Vipers and Ford GTs. Anything can be made fast. Fast, Reliable, Cheap - pick two.

If you can afford Ford Supercar - awesome! Is it the best quarter million dollar car out there - I don't know. High end Italian cars seem to play the game just as well.

For us mere mortals that money does matter - for every 1000whp Mod motor out there - there are 10 or 20 LSX based ones ...

My vett made 1068whp - the only non-gm parts are pistons, rods, pushrods and fasteners: stock block, crank, heads, cam, intake, valves etc etc etc.

I really don't mean this as a pissing match - just a matter of experience and fact.

You want a challenge - find me a 500whp All Motor mod-powered car. I've never heard of one ... I did have a good dozen LSx do it here on my dyno.

P.S. Mark Fulton's car does have metal panels per class rules - everything else is aluminum and carbon fiber - unlike you stated.

P.P.S. The aluminum bare block in Mark's car is $3600 - LSX is about half that, like mentioned above TWICE THE MONEY.

Luton's car was an original GT500 that had been rear-ended and totalled. He bought the car for a song and back half'd it. The interior is stripped and he saved weight there with carbon fiber but everything else is still factory metal. He didn't have to pay big bucks for his block or crank or heads. Those came with the car.

I own 2 Ford's. My Lightning and a Ford diesel 4wd. I also have my '88 Landcruiser an my wife has a '04 Audi S4 and a '08 Porsche Cayenne Turbo. I'm not particularly partial to Ford's over Chevy. I actually prefer German cars.

My engine isn't on a stand. It's in my truck. A 2001 Lightning that makes over 700 at the rear wheels. I haven't been to the track since I moved back to Oklahoma. Been too busy. Sad really, but I was just thinking about selling my truck since I don't even drive it any more. Just sits in my garage.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Luton's car was an original GT500 that had been rear-ended and totalled. He bought the car for a song and back half'd it. The interior is stripped and he saved weight there with carbon fiber but everything else is still factory metal. He didn't have to pay big bucks for his block or crank or heads. Those came with the car.
Check your sources: it's 25.3 chassis with V6 metal on it. Unless we are talking about different car.
http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2010/...twin-turbo-shelby-gt500-outlaw-10-5-race-car/

doctorjj said:
I actually prefer German cars.
If you choose status over price, performance and reliability - your choice and your choice only. Not my place to tell you otherwise.

doctorjj said:
I own 2 Ford's.
I haven't been to the track since I moved back
Just sits in my garage.
So did I nail it or did I nail it :Heya:

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mark Luton blue 2010 GT500 listed here
http://www.streetcarsupernationals.com/oscontend.html

It is a GT500 vin car from the factory. It was rear ended and repaired and back half'd.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...mr-mustang-gt-500-las-vegas-7-35-192-a-3.html

Post #63
"Wow, a lot has gone on since our last visit! Yes our car is a real GT500 with a vin, the article written by automoto is not correct, the interview was done by a MMR employee (who knew nothing about the car and didnt even know he was being quoted) while the owner was out of town and he no longer works for us. The car started life as a basically brand new 2010 GT 500 that was rear ended, parted out and sold to MMR, a V-6 donor car was used to repair the rear damage and this is probably where the confusion comes in that article, you will see this is explained in the MM & FF article coming out soon.."

Maybe someone else needs to check their sources...

So because I own a Ford and haven't raced in a couple years, that invalidates what I've said? I'd argue what I've said has been very much impartial, without blind brand loyalty or exaggeration. I've backed up what I said with facts. The Chevy fan boys are still screaming, without any backing, that theirs is faster and Ford's cost twice as much. Both claims I have shown to be patently false.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For the money you can have a killer 5.3 + ProCharger setup in that Cruiser. Give me a call if you are seriously interested.

For all the jabbing back and forth we've been giving each other, I probably will hit you up about this. :thumbup3:
I really want to get this done. I was thinking of an aluminum 5.7 LS1 for the power and weight savings. If it's that easy to get more power out of a 5.3 (I'm only thinking around 300 hp) then maybe I should stick with the 5.3. How much more does a 5.3 weigh than a 5.7? Also, do you do the physical swap or you just sell engines and give technical advice? I want someone to do it all. The adapters for motor mounts and transfer case are readily available.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've backed up what I said with facts. The Chevy fan boys are still screaming, without any backing, that theirs is faster and Ford's cost twice as much. Both claims I have shown to be patently false.

I gave you simple task - 500whp NA Mod motor.

I really want to get this done. I was thinking of an aluminum 5.7 LS1 for the power and weight savings. If it's that easy to get more power out of a 5.3 (I'm only thinking around 300 hp) then maybe I should stick with the 5.3. How much more does a 5.3 weigh than a 5.7? Also, do you do the physical swap or you just sell engines and give technical advice? I want someone to do it all. The adapters for motor mounts and transfer case are readily available.

We do everything in house. We can fab anything - but if parts are available over the counter it will speed up the process and save money.

Power 5.3 vs 5.7 is all in the cam. Weight is 80lb. For your truck I would actually recommend 6.0L iron block - they are harder to come by, but will allow you to use LS3 top end (5.7 and 5.3 is bore limited). LQ-LS3 combo even with mild cam will make well over 400 wheel hp and tq NA. If 400whp is not enough - cammed and Procharged 5.3 will make 500whp/tq. If you want more - Pro-Charged 6.0 will get you well into 600whp. I am always open to suggestions and directions - sky is the limit (well the budget is, but sky sounds better ;) )

P.S. SUV - Sequoia with TRD supercharger, Escalade or Cherokee SRT8 with Pro-Charger.

Latest posts

Top Bottom