Where to buy Iodine...its missing??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey All,

Where or how do I start? When I was a kid, my old country Doctor would swab the back of my throat for sinus drainage to sore throats, with iodine.

Over the years when I had a sore throat, I mix a little warm water with a very small amount of iodine in a plastic dixie cup. Good as new, problem solved.

In the last two years I have seen tinctured(colored iodine)iodine disappear and non-colored/clear iodine take its place. Okay, not a problem.

PROBLEM: In the past 6 months I have not been able to find any....yes you read correctly...any iodine. First I thought Wal-Greens, CVS, and Wal-Mart were sold out. Then there wasn't a marker on the shelve for an item.

Yesterday at a Wal-Mart, I finally asked a pharmacist, "Where is the iodine?"

Her reply, "They don't carry it any more because it has been deemed/labeled as a poison." WTF/WTH...:smack:....isn't that the whole purpose of iodine...to KILL viruses and bacteria???

Surely, she was wrong in her statement!!!!! No, I won't use Betadine, nor Mecurachrome!!!!! Maybe I'll have to check out Swaims Vet Supply the next time I'm down in Stockyards.

So, here are a few questions.

1. Does anyone else have or had this problem with iodine??
2. Is what the Pharmacists told me REALLY true....a poison??
3. Where in North OKC/Edmond can a person find this stuff...if possible?

**Be on the look out and see if I can be proven wrong on missing Tinctured Iodine***
Rant Off...:rant:

Cohiba

ENC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I heard it was getting harder to find cause it was used to make meth. However I know you can still
get it at most farm supply places.

gsarg

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Walgreens has it on their website. Have it shipped to your house. Buy enough to last a while

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Iodine crystals are now controlled because it is a meth precursor. Tincture can now be bought at feed stores, although who nows for how much longer since it's easy to make crystals out of tincture as well.

The war on drugs makes stuff hard to find, anyone ever use red devil drain opener, since it's used in the finishing process it's not made anymore either.

And yes Iodine is toxic. It's a halogen and halogens do nasty things in concentration.

six shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yea my family always has called it that and they do make meth with it buy only the 7% iodine they make iodiner crystals with it and that makes meth so i've heard. The other stuff you can find anywere.

Latest posts

Top Bottom