Where to buy Iodine...its missing??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

racing1g

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In the presence of red phosphorus as a catalyst, otherwise I2 is poorly soluble. Thus the reason red phosphorus is also a meth precursor and controlled as well, Pseudo ephedrine is broken down in the presence of hydriodic acid and allows the bonding of a methyl group at temperature in the meth cooking reaction.

I will mix some of this poorly soluble I2 up and test it out. I2 is like chlorine, It can exist on its own but it will readily bond with water molecules. Red phosphorus and sulfur dioxide will speed up the rate at which the I2 will bond with the H2O molecules, but it is perfectly capable of doing it on its own.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Really? I shouldn't consume iodine? Guess the Morton's salt company has been lying to me. JB, wanna get in on a sweet class-action suit?

Oh, and we'll go after the makers of Polar Pure, too.

i don't have the energy to look, but yes, it is both consumed and still dangerous. Your body needs some amount, but exposure to large amounts, especially over time, is dangerous. A product based on iodine is used by homebrewers and always comes with a warning.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I admit, I was being a bit snarky. Yes, it's dangerous if overconsumed, but it's also a vital nutrient; in fact, iodine deficiency is the leading cause of preventable mental retardation, according to Wikipedia and citations. And Polar Pure tastes like hell, but it's better than giardia.

I wouldn't advise sitting around chewing on blocks of the stuff, but iodine isn't fundamentally toxic; it's just another element (or compound) that should be used with care.

racing1g

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Really? I shouldn't consume iodine? Guess the Morton's salt company has been lying to me. JB, wanna get in on a sweet class-action suit?

Oh, and we'll go after the makers of Polar Pure, too.

Mortons is is just an iodized salt and as for the polar pure all that stuff is low ppm (parts per million) iodine. 2-3 ppm of I2 is minimal, people eating alot of seafood can easily have 400-600 ppm of iodine in their urine. Our bodies need iodine to function properly, where the problem comes from is when you start ingesting way too much. A solution, such as the iodine you buy in stores, which is a topical disinfectant and contains a higher concentration on iodine (10%).
It is not meant to be ingested, usually says so on the bottles. Chlorine is used to disinfect water as well, but it is present in very low ppm, using an iodine solution (10%) like that is saying that you can disinfect your glass of drinking water with pool shocker. Can be done...but....

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I admit, I was being a bit snarky. Yes, it's dangerous if overconsumed, but it's also a vital nutrient; in fact, iodine deficiency is the leading cause of preventable mental retardation, according to Wikipedia and citations. And Polar Pure tastes like hell, but it's better than giardia.

I wouldn't advise sitting around chewing on blocks of the stuff, but iodine isn't fundamentally toxic; it's just another element (or compound) that should be used with care.

agreed. But i also didn't want people thinking they could wash their kid's sippy cup in iodine and not rinse it well without consequences.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is that why when I was a kid, that old crazy red stinging crap that you applied with a glass beaded stick and probably had iodine in it was called METHiolate?

My grandmother used to practically bathe me in that crap when I would come in after playing, covered in scrapes and cuts.

The crusty old bottle looked just like this:

afarm1.static.flickr.com_4_6820485_d20de13ee9.jpg

I'm pretty sure it was damn near 20 years old when she used it on me...

Latest posts

Top Bottom