Where to buy replacement windows?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We replaced our windows in 2004 and bought thermal windows from Sears......never again as they leak cold air, red dust, dirt particles and small bugs. Sears "honored" the warranty and replaced half of em and reinstalled the rest. They worked better but still not up to expectation..........Replaced the double window in the dining room and 3 kitchen windows with Anderson windows in 2010 and so far so good.
When you say thermal windows, are you talking about windows manufactured in Tulsa or the generic term thermal windows?

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I thought the same. But they would be cutting the full length of the frame also to get at the nails.
I guess it's possible. Have you seen it done that way?
What I’ve seen is the installer would try to remove the glass and collapse the frame toward the center of the window opening. It’s not necessary to remove the nails behind the brick or siding because the flange surface is not used to install the replacement windows.

Replacement windows are set inside the opening and nailed or screwed into the frame opening. Not from the outside with a flange.

Waltercat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What I’ve seen is the installer would try to remove the glass and collapse the frame toward the center of the window opening. It’s not necessary to remove the nails behind the brick or siding because the flange surface is not used to install the replacement windows.

Replacement windows are set inside the opening and nailed or screwed into the frame opening. Not from the outside with a flange.
That's when the damage occurred. He removed the glass best he could then bent the frame toward the center pulling on the nailed flange. The nails may have remained or come out with the flange but the frame distorted and bent up so as to push out on the brick. Easily breaking the brick bond. It is likely that there were no brick ties since those seem to a thing of the past for most brick layers. But they would not have held. Maybe he was too rough. But I know the flanges on mine have nails sides and bottom. Cause I did it myself in 1992. Mistake.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I need to buy some replacement windows for the house.
I'll do the install myself.
Other than Lowes and Home Depot, are there other options in the Tulsa/BA area?

Just ordered 13 from Builders Resource. They are a grade above most companies except wood clads. They are Vinyl with thermo break/UV/ breakage/dual lock and tilt in. Legacy R450.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I thought the same. But they would be cutting the full length of the frame also to get at the nails.
I guess it's possible. Have you seen it done that way?
You
Cut it half halfway or in a couple places and you Collapse the frame inward. Of course you Take the glass out first

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I started to use Lowes and after they installed two windows and failed to insulate around them, I called them and stopped further work and insulated the windows myself. For the remainder of hte job, I used Window World and they did an excellent job. Part of their warrenty is if a window is broken (I think for any reason) they will come out an dreplace the window.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did anyone have a problem with removal of old windows? Mine are in need and the flange is nailed and nailed and nailed. Cannot imagine how they would remove the aluminum frame without tearing things up.
I watched a crew do my neighbors house and they broke the brick bond, mortar joints, pretty bad. The wall was easily rocked after they were done.
I'm tempted to just replace all of the glass and springs.

I have removed a bunch of windows in brick and sometimes there are a lot of nails.

I lay a 1x4 on top of the bricks to rest my prybar.
Collapse in the middle like you normally do but in cases where that does not work I have cut the frames in the middle and pounded the frame into the wall cavity and pull it back towards me and pound it again and finally get the nails loose enough to get them out or like stated a lot of sawzall work with long blades.

Home depot and Lowes windows have worked just fine for me and stuff in stock today is Low E and argon filled.

Now know this as I did not know it.
That Low E film coating does not last forever.

WHAT!!!!
Yea that is correct it degrades over time and windows I installed in 1999 do not block the heat from coming in like they did when new.

These were not argon filled.

Cool thing about argon is the noise blocking ability of it.

Google any of that and find out for yourself.

I install all my own windows.

Latest posts

Top Bottom