Where to keep pistol in truck?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan12322

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Im looking for different ideas to mount a holster under the steering wheel for quick access, but it would need to be tight fitting as my truck is very rough and im afraid the gun would bounce out. Is there such a holster with no locking strap but yet is fitted enough to the gun and the truck to retain position of gun. Maybe something self adjusting to the truck with interchangeable holsters?

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I ever mount a pistol in a vehicle I would use one of the blackhawk cqc serpa ones. Would be easy to modify and mount in place, will keep the firearm in place and release with your trigger finger. They do have a kit that allows you to remove the holster from one base plate and transfer to another so that would probably do the trick for interchanging holsters as well.

WessonOil

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You may want to Google "dash mounted holster" or something along those lines.
There are a ton of that type of thing for sale.

Not a bad idea, as drawing from a holster while seated and belted in can be an issue.

Mike_in_Ok

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have one from Gum Creek. Has a velcro strap to keep the gun from jumping out.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21371937289.529846.jpg

pistolguy

Marksman
Reaction score
I recommend the same place as it 'rides' anywhere else. Front pants pocket holster. Some are too fat to access that while seated, and should lose some weight. Good health demands that, anyway. Leaving a gun in a vehicle is a very irresponsible thing to do, unless it's in a vault in the trunk, etc,. Vehicles are easily stolen, broken into, towed away.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recommend the same place as it 'rides' anywhere else. Front pants pocket holster. Some are too fat to access that while seated, and should lose some weight. Good health demands that, anyway. Leaving a gun in a vehicle is a very irresponsible thing to do, unless it's in a vault in the trunk, etc,. Vehicles are easily stolen, broken into, towed away.

Agreed that a small gun safe is a good thing to have.
204923_ts.jpg

Ryan12322

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes when I leave my truck I always take gun and conceal on me....hence the reason for a strap with the ability to accept different types of gun holster... Plus I imagine its tough to draw gun while sitting in vehicle when it's on my side with seat belt on :(.....so I remove and stuff between seat and hope it stays....not cool.... I kno there are seat covers with pouches...feels un- natural I like under column

pistolguy

Marksman
Reaction score
You imagine wrong. all you have to do is twist on your left side hip, raising right side. straighten left leg, bend up right knee. if you are really worried about speed of access, just put the piece under your thigh while driving. Are you scared of it? It's safe in the holster, why not under your leg?

Belt rigs suck, mostly. In bad weather, you have to fight your way thru the heavy coat, raincoat, etc, FASTENED due to wind, cold, rain,, and then also under the normal ccw garment. That's SLOW, dude. Also, you are probably wearing gloves if it's cold. If I have my hands in my pockets, no need of gloves, and my hand is on the gun. That makes for about 5x as fast a ccw draw as anyone can be with a belt rig, worn under 2 garments and while wearing gloves!

If you pull that gun too soon (during an "incident") you can lose your carry permit,( for "brandishing"). Draw too late,and you end up like George Zimmerman. If, that is, you are lucky enough to survive the incident. :-)

In bad weather, what do you do with the gun and rig, when you take off the outer coat, if you are not concealing the gear under yet another garment hmm? With the pocket rig, you can just "palm" it, gun and all, and move it to and from the pocket of the heavy coat. That's very handy, indeed! With velcro on the rig and in the coat pocket, it stays where you want it, too.

In hot weather, the concealing garment is usually too hot. If you wear a belt rig. IWB, you sweat all over the gun with a leather rig. IWB with kydex rigs is usually danged uncomfortable. Murphy's law and KISS say to not be switching guns, rigs, locations worn, etc, if you don't absolutely have to do so. There are many nice little pocket 9's. Load them correctly and they have plenty of power, too. Corbon 100 gr PowRball 9mm is over 1300 fps from 3" barrels. It features real expansion in animals, 400 ft lbs of power. With this load, the pocket 9 is not too hard to control in rapidfire, has 2x or more power than a 380,. much more control and power than a .38 snub. Why settle for less?

I recommend the Pf9 Keltec for practice, using the Twisted industries .22lr unit for at least some of the live firing, and carry the Kahr CM9. Keep the fouling and the wear off of your ccw gun, and have a "spare" if you lose the "main" ccw, to a wreck, theft, confiscation after a shooting, fire, etc.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom