Which AR-15 firearm is best for hunting?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sklfco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Among the AR-15 guns, which one is best for hunting purpose?

That is like asking who makes the best pickup truck honestly.
Your answer is going to vary depending where you are in the parking lot and what time it is.
The rifle is just another tool made by man to do a specific thing.
As TWSS replied above, identify your needs and your choice as to the tool will become clear.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
honestly any of them from 223-308 could make a fine deer rifle. IMO 300 blackout would be my choice if you hunt in heavy brush areas and 6.5 grendel if you hunt more open areas that might need a longer distance shot. 223/556 is easily the best budget choice due to ammo availability and lethal out to at least 200yds some would argue 400 with the right ammo.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
honestly any of them from 223-308 could make a fine deer rifle. IMO 300 blackout would be my choice if you hunt in heavy brush areas and 6.5 grendel if you hunt more open areas that might need a longer distance shot. 223/556 is easily the best budget choice due to ammo availability and lethal out to at least 200yds some would argue 400 with the right ammo.

.308 won’t fit into an AR-15, as I’m sure you know.

BrandonM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
.308 won’t fit into an AR-15, as I’m sure you know.
I assume he knows. The OP’s question makes me assume he isn’t very familiar with the platform and may not know the caliber restrictions between the AR15 and AR10 pattern rifles. I’m not a hunter by any stretch of the imagination. I went once and shot 2 deer about 50yds from me. I had an 18” AR15 in .223 wylde with a red dot optic. Both deer were hit just behind the shoulder with a basic 62gr soft point bullet and ran about 15yds before giving up the ghost. That’s probably enough hunting to last me a lifetime.
Having said all that, I think .223 is enough for nearly all Oklahoma white tail deer at the normal ranges we see; however, if you’re hunting elk and might take a 500yd shot I don’t think there is a caliber I could recommend in an AR15 pattern rifle. The AR10 however might have a couple of options.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Of the common ar15 rounds for hunting my preference is 6.8spc or 6.5 grendel. I typically use sbr's and while 300 blackout worked on deer and hog I'm not impressed with it.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom