Which generator to buy?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At your price point, I would look at the Champion. They have a quiet model. I agree with the guy who mentioned the massive thread over at rv.net.

You have to consider the whole picture - what do you plan on powering at the same time? How are you going to hook it up? Will you need a transfer switch? Where is the generator going to be located? How do you plan to safely store and rotate fuel? Do you plan on treating the fuel so it doesn't gum up? Do you plan to exercise the generator every 3 months?

I use a 3000W (3500W with battery boost) Yamaha to run fridge / chest freezer / furnace / tv / microwave. Your ideal situation is if you have a gas furnace because for around 1000W you can usually run the furnace/blower.

You mention appliances which can really consume power. Also, do you plan on running 120V only or 240V stuff? I myself prefer a 120V genset because i don't have to be concerned about balancing two 120V legs on a 240V generator so that either leg doesn't exceed its maximum.

How long do you want it to last? How much fuel will it consume vs. how much you can store...

okkaps

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You'll find alot of generators will start looking the same the more you look at them...most likely because they are the same and just re-branded. Like walkeraw said above...his Champion is a great unit for the money and his looks just like mine (mine is a diff brand though). Northern Tool and Tractor Supply have some of the better prices I've seen within the last two weeks (was looking for one for a friend). Mine has lasted and served well since the last HUGE ice storm where all of us were out of elec almost.

I'd say running your basics and being comfy with some extra power in reserve, 5-6k watts should be plenty. You shouldn't have to spend mroe than $500. Tractor Supply has item# 1026211 which is a decent price. Don't expect something quiet for this price and when the first word of "snow" or "ice" hits the tv news, don't expect to find one at the current prices....just sayin :)

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those loud gen sets have only a spark arestor on the exhaust port, remove that and install a common lawn mower muffler to help quiet it down.
With that said, if you have a small diesel tractor (I do), I suggest one of these. They run at an idle RPM of the tractor and you can idle a small diesel engine a very long time on little fuel.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...67?cm_sp=Upsells-_-Top Sellers-_-Product Page
I don't know what tractor you have, but mine doesn't give 540 RPM at the PTO at idle.

Another downside is that if I'm using the tractor for power, I can't use it for anything else...like moving broken branches and such out of the way.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know what tractor you have, but mine doesn't give 540 RPM at the PTO at idle.

Another downside is that if I'm using the tractor for power, I can't use it for anything else...like moving broken branches and such out of the way.
I have a 3 speed PTO. I'll go move branches when the power company get power restored...

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How many years ago was the big ice storm in Tulsa? 2007? Well, I was without power for several days, so to keep that from happening again I decided to buy a 5550 watt generator when the stores were unloading overstock after the worst was over.

Four years later and I haven't had a single opportunity to use it.

Exactly why I bought mine, insurance.
I've only used it for a few hours in the last few years.

It's like a raincoat, if you have one it never rains.

FWIW we got a 12/8K generator, enough for the whole house and little left over for my elderly neighbors.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For the 2007 ice storm, I used the genset for 3.5 days straight. Used it a few hours here and there since and probably should drag it out and change oil and clean the carb. now that I am thinking about it.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a 3 speed PTO. I'll go move branches when the power company get power restored...
I *wish* I had a multi-speed PTO. I hate running at almost-full throttle to run a brushhog over a lawn once a week. I really don't need that kind of power, or fuel consumption. <sigh> On my next tractor....

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For the 2007 ice storm, I used the genset for 3.5 days straight. Used it a few hours here and there since and probably should drag it out and change oil and clean the carb. now that I am thinking about it.

That's on my list this weekend. Top off the gas cans (I rotate by using the winter's gas in the lawnmower/weedeater during spring/summer), and exercise the genny. I have two portable heaters that I hook up to each 120 leg and let run for a bit.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We just bought a new one this year. Back when GC was tinkering with our old one we figured out I couldn't start it because it's a pull start and I don't have enough umpf to yank the cord. I don't know anything about this new one except that it has an electric start (thank you GC!!) and that after that little storm in 2007 I'm not gonna be without one (again, thank you GC!) ;)

Oh ... and we got it at Sam's ...

Latest posts

Top Bottom