Generator interlock kit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigdawg90

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just installed this interlock kit on the panel. No more bothering with switches and extension cords.

It was honestly way easier than I thought. I went with a full on transfer switch at my last house but after selling it and having to leave behind the whole generator setup. I wanted something that would allow me to use portable generators I can buy at any store and take with me.

I called Osage county and no permit was needed, but it had to be up to code. Just made space for the 50 amp breaker, connected the power inlet and boom ready for winter storms. Lol.

Attachments

• IMG_4172.jpeg
    IMG_4172.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I need to get something done here. I think it would be easier for me to go with a transfer switch and power inlet at my meter pole but not sure. I need to get someone who knows more than I to come look at it and price me some options. I recently bought my own 12k generator welder so now that I know what I’ll have in an emergency I’d like to get the house set up for easy transfer instead of the extension cords and juggling what is using power.

Bigdawg90

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I need to get something done here. I think it would be easier for me to go with a transfer switch and power inlet at my meter pole but not sure. I need to get someone who knows more than I to come look at it and price me some options. I recently bought my own 12k generator welder so now that I know what I’ll have in an emergency I’d like to get the house set up for easy transfer instead of the extension cords and juggling what is using power.
That’s why I went with the interlock kit. I’ve got a workshop/shed that’s powered by a 10k generator.

2 houses ago I had a 10 circuit transfer switch with a power inlet. It was ok because all I had was a 16 circuit 120 amp box. I didn’t lose much other than the A/C.

Here I’ve got a full 200 amp box with about 35 separate circuits. I only need to turn 4 off (A/C, furnaces) and I can run literally everything off my little 10k generator.

I learned my lesson on gas generators during monsoon season in AZ. Knocked out power and I went to start up the generator and the carb was gummed up. Had to move it in the garage, disassemble, clean and reassemble with my wife chirping in the background. Lol. Now I run everything off LP. And it stores WAY better than gas.

This was by far the cheapest generator hookup I’ve done. All in all with inlet box, interlock kit, wiring and new breaker I was at around $220.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That’s why I went with the interlock kit. I’ve got a workshop/shed that’s powered by a 10k generator.

2 houses ago I had a 10 circuit transfer switch with a power inlet. It was ok because all I had was a 16 circuit 120 amp box. I didn’t lose much other than the A/C.

Here I’ve got a full 200 amp box with about 35 separate circuits. I only need to turn 4 off (A/C, furnaces) and I can run literally everything off my little 10k generator.

I learned my lesson on gas generators during monsoon season in AZ. Knocked out power and I went to start up the generator and the carb was gummed up. Had to move it in the garage, disassemble, clean and reassemble with my wife chirping in the background. Lol. Now I run everything off LP. And it stores WAY better than gas.

This was by far the cheapest generator hookup I’ve done. All in all with inlet box, interlock kit, wiring and new breaker I was at around $220.
I’m pretty good about keeping my engines up and start them every month or so on top of using fuel treatments. For what it’s worth my new welder generator is fuel injected. I asked an electrician fella about these soft starters for A/C I saw on YouTube. He said it should work. I think we are gonna hook one up on my unit.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
... I asked an electrician fella about these soft starters for A/C I saw on YouTube. He said it should work. I think we are gonna hook one up on my unit.

I put a soft start on my 3 ton A/C unit. It works, and allows me to run my A/C on my 5500W portable generator. The 2.5 ton unit beside it without the soft start won't start but that's OK, it just runs the upstairs zone.

Bigdawg90

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m pretty good about keeping my engines up and start them every month or so on top of using fuel treatments. For what it’s worth my new welder generator is fuel injected. I asked an electrician fella about these soft starters for A/C I saw on YouTube. He said it should work. I think we are gonna hook one up on my unit.

SOFT START?! This is why this forum is awesome. I had never heard of that but it’s genius.

Now onto how to get my wife to let me spend even more money on prepping after sgammo sales. Haha.

Latest posts

Top Bottom