Which generator to buy?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Im saving up for a 20kw generac. Propane fed so I won't have to d rate it. I just built last year and setup the electric and tank in the right area.
If the power goes out I don't want momma to fuss that she can't do something. My a/c requires about 12 kw or so for startup and this way I won't be running a 15kw to the max.

4300 or so for the unit and transfer switch and a couple hundred for the pad and $3-400 for the electrician.

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's on my list this weekend. Top off the gas cans (I rotate by using the winter's gas in the lawnmower/weedeater during spring/summer), and exercise the genny. I have two portable heaters that I hook up to each 120 leg and let run for a bit.
When I did mine a few weeks ago, I had problems with the voltage. When I hooked up the heater the voltage dropped to 109. Plus the rope start was not working very good. I checked around and took it to Ron's Lawn Mower on S. Western. He fixed the rope start, adjusted the voltage regulator, adjusted the valves, and changed the oil for a very reasonable price. He also had it done be the following day. This generator was 12 years old and this was the first time it had been worked on. When you exercise the generator, you really need to check the frequency and voltage both with and without a load. I just use a kill-a-watt to do this.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If anyone is thinking if getting a Generac stand by unit, please note that they are currently back ordered and you would not recieve it until end of February or mid March of 2012. I lost 4 sales last week due to the back order time frame quoted to me from generac. Not trying to discourage anyone from getting one, just passing on some information.

Also take a look at the Ridgid 6800 and 8000 generators, very nice set ups.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I did mine a few weeks ago, I had problems with the voltage. When I hooked up the heater the voltage dropped to 109. Plus the rope start was not working very good. I checked around and took it to Ron's Lawn Mower on S. Western. He fixed the rope start, adjusted the voltage regulator, adjusted the valves, and changed the oil for a very reasonable price. He also had it done be the following day. This generator was 12 years old and this was the first time it had been worked on. When you exercise the generator, you really need to check the frequency and voltage both with and without a load. I just use a kill-a-watt to do this.

Good suggestions....I usually check the voltage/freq as well.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would love to get a decent-sized one... again, just to run the lights, blower, microwave and fridge. Maybe the stovetop. And TV and Xbox and computer. But not all at the same time, of course. ;)

3-4kW seems like plenty to me, but I'm not sure how I hook something like this up to the house. Do I have to hire an electrician to professionally wire it into the fusebox? Or is there some other way... I'm totally at a loss for this stuff. I would like something I could take camping with me if I decided to...

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would love to get a decent-sized one... again, just to run the lights, blower, microwave and fridge. Maybe the stovetop. And TV and Xbox and computer. But not all at the same time, of course. ;)

3-4kW seems like plenty to me, but I'm not sure how I hook something like this up to the house. Do I have to hire an electrician to professionally wire it into the fusebox? Or is there some other way... I'm totally at a loss for this stuff. I would like something I could take camping with me if I decided to...
If you want to tie it into your house wiring, you need an electrician or someone who knows what they are doing. I just use heavy duty extension cords. I made up a cord with 8 gauge wire to go from the generator to a quad box that I pull to the garage and use 12 gauge cords to go to what ever I want to power. I also have 100 ft of 10 gauge cord that I use to power my neighbors heat and fridge.

cowzrul

Distinguished 1998
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I just built a house and had the electricians mount a transfer switch in the wall next to my breaker panels. He said if I would have done it after the fact it would have cost an extra $250. The transfer switch & install was $1000. I didn't want to buy a huge genrac and have it get stolen so I opted for this route. I have a 10' pigtail that connects my 6800 generator to the transfer box on the outside of the house by the meter. One flip of a switch and it runs all the necessities.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
3-4kW seems like plenty to me, but I'm not sure how I hook something like this up to the house. Do I have to hire an electrician to professionally wire it into the fusebox? Or is there some other way... .

Keep in mind that microwave will probably be at least 1.6kw by itself if it is any size at all.

Here's an option to hook your genset to the house. Not inexpensive, but a nice option a lot better than extention cords strung out all over and you can take it with you if you move.

http://www.generlink.com/about_generlink.cfm

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Keep in mind that microwave will probably be at least 1.6kw by itself if it is any size at all.

Here's an option to hook your genset to the house. Not inexpensive, but a nice option a lot better than extention cords strung out all over and you can take it with you if you move.

http://www.generlink.com/about_generlink.cfm

I contacted OG&E about these awhile back. I pointed out that several utilities around the state were using these. They didn't care and didn't have any plans to start offering them. :pissed:

Latest posts

Top Bottom