Which generator to buy?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kennedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am starting to look for a generator for my house. I want to spend between $400-$500 ish on one. What is s good generator in that range? The quieter the better.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you want quiet you are going to have to seriously step up your budget and get a Honda. The 3000 watt model starts at about $1800 and it's not big enough.

I got a 5500 watt Coleman with a Yamaha engine, lcd readout and lighted panel for around $900. For 4 or $500 you aren't going to get anything but an economy version with no bells or whistles. But you can get one that will work. Quiet it will not be.

Try to get one with a yamaha, subaru, koehler or honda engine. They will last many many hours.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's probably the wrong time of year to be looking for generators, but every now and then Home Depot or Lowe's will have a sale on generators. I picked up a 7500 watt Generac last year from HD when they had it marked down from some $900 to $550. It ain't fancy, but it gets the job done.

I'm sure though that some folks will caution you against getting too big of a generator for your needs, since the big jobs can suck more gasoline than necessary. Might look for one with an auto-idle feature for that reason.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First question before which generator is best is what you do you want to power in your house?

Do you want to keep it all lit up like nothing ever happened or do you just want to run a few key appliances like a gas furnace blower to keep the house from freezing? The Honda EU2000i is big enough to run a blower, quiet, and sips gas but it's gonna be way more than $400-500.

I've got a Coleman 5Kw right now, noisy as hell but it didn't cost me much and it'll keep the house warm at night during a winter outage and keep the fridge/freezer running during a summer one.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's probably the wrong time of year to be looking for generators, but every now and then Home Depot or Lowe's will have a sale on generators. I picked up a 7500 watt Generac last year from HD when they had it marked down from some $900 to $550. It ain't fancy, but it gets the job done.

I'm sure though that some folks will caution you against getting too big of a generator for your needs, since the big jobs can suck more gasoline than necessary. Might look for one with an auto-idle feature for that reason.
Maybe not. I bought mine at HD and it was the day before the 1st big ice storm. And it was on sale. I went back that evening to see if they had any left and was going to pick up another one for my mom. Of course they didn't have any and you couldn't find a generator anywhere in the city for sale.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those loud gen sets have only a spark arestor on the exhaust port, remove that and install a common lawn mower muffler to help quiet it down.
With that said, if you have a small diesel tractor (I do), I suggest one of these. They run at an idle RPM of the tractor and you can idle a small diesel engine a very long time on little fuel.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...67?cm_sp=Upsells-_-Top Sellers-_-Product Page

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went a different direction because I didn't want to store a bunch of gas and from our last big outage with no power you couldn't get gas or had to fight for it for the stations that had it.

I heard of generators getting stolen over night while running. Really I just purchased an vent less propane heater that doesn't require electric and if it's cold no need to have the refrigerator going.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With that said, if you have a small diesel tractor (I do), I suggest one of these. They run at an idle RPM of the tractor and you can idle a small diesel engine a very long time on little fuel.

Intriguing idea, but wouldn't that contribute to wear and tear on your tractor's engine? I'd think that would be more expensive in the long run than having a dedicated generator?

Latest posts

Top Bottom