Which KNS Pins?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm looking to use KNS pins in my Noveske lower. What's the difference in the Gen 2, the Gen 2 Mod 2, the Gen 2 Mod 3?

Also, since this isn't going to be a full-auto, is there any need for the non-rotating Sear pin?

I'm planning on gearing up to shoot this thing a lot - hopefully I'll take a course or two with it and then maybe start easing my way into 3-gun or practical rifle/carbine matches.

Also, I presume since this is a new lower that it takes the .154 trigger/hammer pins - can anyone confirm?

264Magnum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm looking to use KNS pins in my Noveske lower. What's the difference in the Gen 2, the Gen 2 Mod 2, the Gen 2 Mod 3?
Gen 2
http://www.knsprecisioninc.com/mm5/...ode=KNS1&Product_Code=NRTHP154&Category_Code=

Gen 2 Mod 2
http://www.knsprecisioninc.com/mm5/...de=KNS1&Product_Code=NRTHPMOD2&Category_Code=

Gen 2 Mod 3

http://www.knsprecisioninc.com/mm5/...de=KNS1&Product_Code=NRTHPMOD3&Category_Code=

Also, since this isn't going to be a full-auto, is there any need for the non-rotating Sear pin?
Nope

Also, I presume since this is a new lower that it takes the .154 trigger/hammer pins - can anyone confirm?
Yep

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Right - I've got those same links up on my other tabs in Firefox - pretend I'm dumb enough that I don't see anything in there that tells me that I absolutely need one over the other.

I get that the Gen 2 Mod 3 is specifically designed for the POF receiver (not even sure what that is other than I gather it has ambi-safety - I've ruled that one out unless someone knows if it will fit mine).

What's the difference in Gen 2 and Gen 2 Mod 2 (other than the skinny retainers)?

Edited to add - sorry man didn't see the rest of your post - is there a difference in the Gen 2 and Gen 2 Mod 2 other than the skinny retainers?

264Magnum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What's the difference in Gen 2 and Gen 2 Mod 2 (other than the skinny retainers)?

Edited to add - sorry man didn't see the rest of your post - is there a difference in the Gen 2 and Gen 2 Mod 2 other than the skinny retainers?
You nailed the only difference between the two. More people liked the look of the original Gen 1 "Dogbone" style keepers or whatever you want to call them, so KNS made the Mod 2 for people that wanted the look.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What trigger are you going with? It will make a difference as to what you can get away with in the pin department. I like the J.P. oversized anti walk pins. They are a press fit and won't rotate, but they are kind of a waist if your going with stock trigger parts. If I was going stock I would just use the stock pins, and just deepen the detent with a dremel cut-off wheel and then they will never walk, no need to get real fancy unless you want "the look"

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What trigger are you going with? It will make a difference as to what you can get away with in the pin department. I like the J.P. oversized anti walk pins. They are a press fit and won't rotate, but they are kind of a waist if your going with stock trigger parts. If I was going stock I would just use the stock pins, and just deepen the detent with a dremel cut-off wheel and then they will never walk, no need to get real fancy unless you want "the look"

I don't know if I can do that for less than $25 worth of effort :) Plus, I've got no parts kit in this lower yet, so I don't have to remove any pins before installing this.

I'm planning on going with stock trigger parts (out of a DD LPK) for now - I don't honestly have the issue that everyone else seems to when shooting my ARs with stock triggers. Don't get me wrong, when shooting for distance out of the Remington 700 - I'm a huge wuss when it comes to trigger feel, weight, etc... but when shooting my carbines, a heavy crappy stock trigger is fine (not saying I couldn't do better with a lighter, crisper, better-feeling trigger, but its just not that big of an issue for me now).

Just easing my way into shooting classes / matches man, I'm not jumping in head first yet :D

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm planning on going with stock trigger parts (out of a DD LPK) for now - I don't honestly have the issue that everyone else seems to when shooting my ARs with stock triggers. Don't get me wrong, when shooting for distance out of the Remington 700 - I'm a huge wuss when it comes to trigger feel, weight, etc... but when shooting my carbines, a heavy crappy stock trigger is fine (not saying I couldn't do better with a lighter, crisper, better-feeling trigger, but its just not that big of an issue for me now).

Just easing my way into shooting classes / matches man, I'm not jumping in head first yet :D

I guess I'll reiterate what Kurt said. I don't see the need of going with $30 pins on a 10 cent trigger.

264Magnum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess I'll reiterate what Kurt said. I don't see the need of going with $30 pins on a 10 cent trigger.
I kinda, sorta agree with this.

Its a solution to a problem that 99.875% of AR shooters will never experience. But on the other hand, if you're spending thousands of dollars building your bad ass AR, what's another $30 for a little added protection.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well that's probably fair - so what is the point of having KNS pins then? I thought it had to do with preventing the pins from rotating and screwing up the lower and that it had little to do with the trigger (other than fit). Is that wrong?

I also thought that the reason 99% of AR owners never experienced this problem was that that same 99% never used their rifles beyond a few thousand rounds.

My plans aren't to jump into competing, but if I end up really liking it, then I could see me shooting as many as 5,000 or so rounds through it over the course of the next year or two and I assume that once I get into it - it only goes up from there.