Which Powder

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muskrat

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is there a single powder that I can use for the three guns that I reload for? First gun is a 243 using 58gr. and 87gr. Used for varmit and deer, the second is 30-06 using 125gr and 180gr. used primarily for deer and some hogs. The last one is 300 WM using 165gr and 180 gr. it is used for hogs and long range on deer. When I say long range I mean for me which is up to about 400 yards. Thanks

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Each rifle will probably have one particular powder that it really "likes", but if I had to choose one for all three given the info above it would be IMR-4350, IMR-4831, then RL-19. IMR and RL powders are about all I shoot so others maybe able to chime in on some other brands. Have used these powders in the .243 and the .300wm with excellent accuracy (.5-.75 inch groups) for hunting. Don't have an '06 but have used these powders in .280 and .280AI which would be similar case size. IMR-4831 is my accuracy and speed load for my .280AI. Good luck:)

Muskrat

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you for the replys. I have been trying H4350 in all three but haven't had time yet to test how they shoot with this powder. I have about 2200 rounds made up of various powders but been too busy with job to go try the H4350 out. I enjoy reloading so I just keep doing it when I do have spare time. When weather gets better mainly the wind I will test the H4350. I use Hornady reload book and Quickload. I don't get out of line with my reloads. Not trying to get the fastest just the most accurate for my guns. It would just make things easier if one powder would work for all three but if not then Oh well. Thank you again

Huckelberry75

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also take a look at Reloader 17. It is nearly identical to IMR 4350, but just a touch more temp stable. Before you go loading up hundred and hundreds of test rounds you really should try some to see if you may have already found the sweet spot and now you are just wasting time. There is nothing fast about finding the best load for a rifle, but one key factor is that you DO have to fire them through the rifle to see if the are worth a darn.

Grumulkin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is there a single powder that I can use for the three guns that I reload for? First gun is a 243 using 58gr. and 87gr. Used for varmit and deer, the second is 30-06 using 125gr and 180gr. used primarily for deer and some hogs. The last one is 300 WM using 165gr and 180 gr. it is used for hogs and long range on deer. When I say long range I mean for me which is up to about 400 yards. Thanks

I predict you will not get the best accuracy possible with one or even two powders when loading for 3 different guns and 6 different bullets. If you're considering 400 yard shots, you should be interested in maximum accuracy.

First of all, I would suggest you pick one bullet weight for each cartridge. Any of the bullet weights you mention would work on deer and hogs. Then consult the Nosler manual and use the powders they got their most accurate loads with. Finally resign yourself to the fact you'll probably need to use 2 or 3 different powders.

Flynraider

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
yea 4831 is a pretty darn good place to start. Note: they also make it in a short cut version (4831SC) that uses the same load data. I use the SC version because it is easier to meter and dump into the cases

I can't wait to get some! I've been using ramshot powders almost exclusively because i got so tired of all the metering problems I was having with the "stick" type powders

Latest posts

Top Bottom