Who Here Remembers Polio?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was born in '50. Pert near each class in school had at least one kid with braces. We had to take three shots when I was around 5. I do remember them being fairly large needles. In Jr High we took the sugar cubes.

I remember in Jr High up at Lenapah, the county health dep't gave every student the TB test. WITH THE SAME NEEDLE!!! Give her credit though, she had a bunsen burner and heated the needle to red hot, then cooled in alcohol between each shot.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My uncle is 64, he lost use of both legs and most of one arm. Best mechanic youve ever seen. He never let the disease slow him down, always a happy guy. He used to come to deer camp and id lug his ol butt all over cherokee. Now hes got a kinda bad azzed hover round thing that goes about anywhere.

I too remember the sugar cube, seeing needles used over n over and got my 2nd small pox shot in 1984.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So you erradicated a couple of diseases with a couple of vacines. What's the point? What are you getting at?
Polio was conquered through government enterprise.

It was government funded research that created the vaccines and it was government sponsored vaccination programs that immunized most of the children in the US to end polio for good.

The next time someone tells you that the only role for the .gov is military defense of the country tell em they're full of bovine scat. gubment cheese notwithstanding.

ArmyOfJuan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And yet, today, there are idiot parents that REFUSE to get their kids vaccinated against anything. Polio and Smallpox are gone. Whooping cough was, but now it is coming back. "But it's not natural." "It might have side effects". Yeah, it might, but it will keep you from dying a horrible, painful death as well.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
And yet, today, there are idiot parents that REFUSE to get their kids vaccinated against anything. Polio and Smallpox are gone. Whooping cough was, but now it is coming back. "But it's not natural." "It might have side effects". Yeah, it might, but it will keep you from dying a horrible, painful death as well.

yep im one of those idiot parents, im also one of the idiots that refused the anthrax shot, although i gave a few. Im also one of those who wont get a flu shot.

Its a choice we all have. Ill take my chances, you take yours.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
yep im one of those idiot parents, im also one of the idiots that refused the anthrax shot, although i gave a few. Im also one of those who wont get a flu shot.

Its a choice we all have. Ill take my chances, you take yours.
Interesting that you have a dramatically different viewpoint than your parents did.

And how do you feel about school districts requiring mandatory childhood vaccinations before a child can attend school there with other children?

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I doubt my parents had a viewpoint, kids health wasnt their thing.

The mandatory immunizations arn't really mandatory for most schools. You can object on religious grounds. My kids are grown now so its a non issue for me now.

As for your question, i think the law should say its a parents choice.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's been my observation that the people most opposed to vaccinations are the same ones who clog the doctor's offices when they get the flu and try to hoard all the Cipro when there's an anthrax scare.

Latest posts

Top Bottom