Who Here Remembers Polio?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Ive seen that as well. I just think parents should have total responcibility for a childs heath and well being. Immunizations should be available but not mandatory.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ive seen that as well. I just think parents should have total responcibility for a childs heath and well being. Immunizations should be available but not mandatory.
As far as that goes, I agree.

But it's not just about "parents should have total responsibility for a child's health"
That's a bit simplistic and ignores the fact that we are a society and not just individuals.

School districts can't force parents to vaccinate their children.
What they can do is enforce a requirement of vaccination to mingle with other parents' children.
Parents are free to home school their children or seek other education alternatives.
They just can't choose to put the children of other families at risk.

There's a bit of a difference.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I agree, parents that say no should be held accountable. The same standards should also apply to those parents who refuse on religious grounds.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@Hobbes - re: Roosevelt polio

There have been articles that challenge the notion that Roosevelt's paralysis was due to polio but was rather a result of Guillain-Barre Syndrome.

1st Google result: http://www.cnn.com/2003/HEALTH/10/31/roosevelt.polio.reut/index.html

I was born in 1955 so I have memories of both the vaccine via sugar cube and needle. I also recall swimming pools being thought of as methods of transmission.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had an opportunity to shake the hand of Jonas Salk. I thanked him for probably saving my life.

Before the Salk vaccine, I never got to see anyone outside my immediate family, much less go to town, from when school was out to when it resumed in September. Every summer saw big, scary epidemics.

Yeah, I remember polio, and these anti-vaccine idiots are likely to cause the current generation to remember it too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom