Who Here Remembers Polio?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I went to school with a couple of kids that had it. One got along with crutches and those heavy metal braces while the other used a wheelchair. I was told that they caught the disease from the live vaccine being used at the time.

Michael

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I doubt my parents had a viewpoint, kids health wasnt their thing.

The mandatory immunizations arn't really mandatory for most schools. You can object on religious grounds. My kids are grown now so its a non issue for me now.

As for your question, i think the law should say its a parents choice.
I am fine with that choice so long as you are fine with societies choice to bar your children from contacting and spreading the disease to other children in public schools. Home school the kids that do not get vaccinated.

Michael

glockman25

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i am also an idiot parent that refuses to vaccinate my daughter for polio and MMR... And she can go to public school with everyone else because thank god Oklahoma has exemptions from vaccination requirements based on religion, medical or philosophical reasons. I dont think it to be irresponsible, but i believe the stuff in some vaccines are more dangerous along with the possible physical and mental side effects. Is there really a reason to put aluminum and formaldehyde and pump it into your 6 month olds body? How about monkey kidney cells or bovine serum?

Cowman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My mother had polio. She was in the iron lung for a while. So she told me. She got around pretty well though. I remember all the vaccinations. Have the smallpox scar. Took the 1976
swine flu shot. So far lived through all of it.

glockman25

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For the anti-vac people: is this a Christian Science kind of thing? If your child developed type 1 diabetes would you allow him to be treated with insulin? Do you believe in medicine? Does fire scare Frankenstien?
ok lets not be ignorant. Treating a diagnosed disease versus vaccinating for a virus that is non existent in the u.s are completely different. I believe in some medicine and has nothing to do with religion. I am just aware of the corruption in the pharmaceutical market and how they rip people off and sell them placebo's

glockman25

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And yes i was vaccinated but i had no choice, but just because im ok so far does not necessarily mean i wont be later because of vaccinations. Now i dont generally like to take medicine myself because frankly it doesnt seem to work to well. Allergy meds dont help, Tylenol or Ibuprofen never helps me with fever, headache or pain. Lortabs never helped me nor did Soma, skelaxin or any of that stuff for my back. SO whats the point of putting a foreign chemical in my body. I have had one flu shot and i got sick right after, because it lowers your immune system

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And yes i was vaccinated but i had no choice, but just because im ok so far does not necessarily mean i wont be later because of vaccinations. Now i dont generally like to take medicine myself because frankly it doesnt seem to work to well.

The opposite of this directly applies to the position you've placed your kids in. Just because a virus isn't prevalent in the US doesn't mean your child isn't at risk from contracting it. You may have protected them from some big pharm coverup as a child but risked their life as an adolescent or adult.

I'm not saying you were right or wrong, merely that the logic is faulty

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If you keep peeling back the layers and fleshing the argument out, you will see eventually argue about consent.

Does a parent have the sole right to a childs health and well being? In our culture they do until a subjective age.

I think some vaccinations can wait until a child is grown, then they can consent to immunizations on theyre own.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you keep peeling back the layers and fleshing the argument out, you will see eventually argue about consent.

Does a parent have the sole right to a childs health and well being? In our culture they do until a subjective age.

I think some vaccinations can wait until a child is grown, then they can consent to immunizations on theyre own.

You're probably opposed to circumcision of infant boys then?

Latest posts

Top Bottom