Who is responsible for the power outage damage?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Two Gun Warrior

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Liability for something I have no control over is one of my greatest concerns. I posted a couple years ago about some kids trespassing and riding 4 wheelers on my place up there. The first time they ignored a two “keep out/no trespassing“ signs and left the gate open, so I put a lock on it. The second time they bypassed my lock and chain but attempted to close the gate hoping I wouldn’t notice, so that told me they knew they were doing something wrong. I finally had to chain it so that they’re going to need bolt cutters to get in.
To be honest, I wouldn’t really care about them riding around when it’s not hunting season, but I don’t trust people not to do stupid sh*t and then try to blame someone else for their dumbassery.
They need to be told in person or written to stay out. If one of them gets hurt or kill on your place the family could sue you. I have seen it in Texas where some boys climbed over a fence right by a posted sign. They were swimming in a pond and one drowned. The family sue the land owner.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Buring all utility cable is a cost thing, for electrical its about 3 to 4 times the cost and then when outages happen it takes longer for them to find the problem and get the equipment in to find it and fix it and cover it back up takes alot longer, yes it would solve the down lines problem but at what cost are you willing to pay each month on your electric bill for it. All utility companies has to stay within the allotted easement or pay extra to each property owner, even thou there is a rule against planting trees within so many feet of a power line not many goes by it and is very seldom enforced.
They tried burying electric cables in New York City. When it rained dogs were being electrocuted.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They need to be told in person or written to stay out. If one of them gets hurt or kill on your place the family could sue you. I have seen it in Texas where some boys climbed over a fence right by a posted sign. They were swimming in a pond and one drowned. The family sue the land owner.
The game warden knew who the kids were and talked to their parents. I had the option of pressing charges, but I’m not that kind of person. I just asked him to tell them not to come back. If they do come back again, I’m going to be a lot harder to get along with.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This was a good sized Monterey Pine we had cut down. Hired it done and man, did those guys know what they were doing
1687291202469.jpeg

rhart

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The tree in our front yard came down early Sunday morning (about 2:30AM) and landed on three cars - two of ours and one owned by a party goer with no place else to park. The partygoer got the worst of it (but seemingly saved our mailbox since she parked right in front of it). My son and I, with the help of the next door neighbors and a nephew, had the street cleared and all cars freed by 9AM Sunday morning. My son had a small (maybe 14" blade) chain saw. All that's left is an eight feet tall stump where it broke off. The nephew and I were standing on the front porch when the tree snapped about 10 or 12 feet from us. Luckily the parking spot that got the largest part of the tree was empty because my daughter-in-law was at her mom & dad's.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Liability for something I have no control over is one of my greatest concerns.
Likewise. Liability awareness has been a part of my entire adult life. Somehow I retired after 45 years of pharmacy without needing my liability policy. That is also why I allow no one but family to hunt on my hunting property. You just never know how a court or jury will do.

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If that tree fell on a car and killed someone, there is no liability? That tree should have been maintained and as can be seen, it has not.

I had a tree about that size next to the road and I cut it down because I didn't want it falling on the power lines or a passing vehicle. Since it was on a right of way, I called the county and they wouldn't return my calls. I took some responsibility and dealt with it. People just don't give a xxxx.

That tree above is on the guys property and probably not on a ROW.
It looks like the tree is probably in the utility easement.

Latest posts

Top Bottom