Who is responsible for the power outage damage?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If that tree fell on a car and killed someone, there is no liability? That tree should have been maintained and as can be seen, it has not.

I had a tree about that size next to the road and I cut it down because I didn't want it falling on the power lines or a passing vehicle. Since it was on a right of way, I called the county and they wouldn't return my calls. I took some responsibility and dealt with it. People just don't give a xxxx.

That tree above is on the guys property and probably not on a ROW.
No liability unless the tree is rotting or diseased. A healthy tree, no liability.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
notice the base of this table is the stump of that 60’ Sycamore. It is over 36” in diameter. Took it down with my 18” Stihl

Attachments

• IMG_4228.jpeg
    IMG_4228.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
notice the base of this table is the stump of that 60’ Sycamore. It is over 36” in diameter. Took it down with my 18” Stihl
I told the neighbor about your table idea. I left enough stump for them if they wanted to do something similar. I think it's a cool idea.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What is reasonable maintenance for a home owner? If your tree fell on your neighbor’s house who would be responsible? Nature?

This act of nature language is related to insurance policies. Not liability due to the lack of maintenance.

Would the power company not be liable for placing the lines in a location that a tree could fall? I'd bet the tree was there before the power lines. If the utility company buried the lines it would be a non-issue as well. It does appear some of that tree has been cut back before. At what point do you consider it maintained? Should we get rid of all trees? Does he cut it down? Cutting it down much more would probably kill that tree, and the total tree removal, stump removal, and possible replacement tree costs would not be cheap on a tree that size.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I told the neighbor about your table idea. I left enough stump for them if they wanted to do something similar. I think it's a cool idea.
The trick for me was to get a level cut on that 36” stump with an18” saw. Put a ring of masking tape around the stump leveled with a transit to be a cutting guide.

The table top is 5/4 deck board 2 layers screwed and glued at right angles to prevent warping.

Two Gun Warrior

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I get the frustration that’s being expressed in this thread, but trying to assign blame and liability to your neighbors is a big part of what’s wrong with this country.
Yes, someone could start a tar and feather campaign on social media, but that would be a chickensh*t thing to do.
Here in east TX, a neighbor or passerby would’ve already cut the tree off the line, but evidently, y’all don’t do that sort of thing up there. :anyone:
Not knowing if the line is dead or not, I would not try to cut that one down. Also might do more damage to the lines, pole and transformer. No matter what state you are in. I grew up in Texas and live in Oklahoma, Have property in both.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Would the power company not be liable for placing the lines in a location that a tree could fall? I'd bet the tree was there before the power lines. If the utility company buried the lines it would be a non-issue as well. It does appear some of that tree has been cut back before. At what point do you consider it maintained? Should we get rid of all trees? Does he cut it down? Cutting it down much more would probably kill that tree, and the total tree removal, stump removal, and possible replacement tree costs would not be cheap on a tree that size.
Buring all utility cable is a cost thing, for electrical its about 3 to 4 times the cost and then when outages happen it takes longer for them to find the problem and get the equipment in to find it and fix it and cover it back up takes alot longer, yes it would solve the down lines problem but at what cost are you willing to pay each month on your electric bill for it. All utility companies has to stay within the allotted easement or pay extra to each property owner, even thou there is a rule against planting trees within so many feet of a power line not many goes by it and is very seldom enforced.

Latest posts

Top Bottom