Who reloads for .44 special?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henry

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like you are new to reloading and you will probably find the 44 is as easy to load as any and easier than most because of its size. Any of the name brand Carbide dies will do fine for you. I like "dry lube" cast bullets for just fooling around and they give you no smoke compared to a lot of grease lubed bullets. The Ruger will be fine. Just remember, if you are going to push the bullets very fast, you need to clean the bore frequently. Lead does foul.
Good Luck and have fun
Henry

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not yet, but soon. I'll not be trying to mag it either. 850 to 900fps is more than enough for her.

Same for me, Leighton. I'll just load up some gentle stuff for fun. Funny how so many people load and run .38 SPL in .357 guns but you don't hear much about people running the .44 SPL in the .44 Mag.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Same for me, Leighton. I'll just load up some gentle stuff for fun. Funny how so many people load and run .38 SPL in .357 guns but you don't hear much about people running the .44 SPL in the .44 Mag.

Lots of folks do it, they just don't talk about it. Myself, I've had a couple of .44mags, and am much happier with my .44spl's. I'd rather have a boom and a push, than supersonic and a jerk!!

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lots of folks do it, they just don't talk about it. Myself, I've had a couple of .44mags, and am much happier with my .44spl's. I'd rather have a boom and a push, than supersonic and a jerk!!

Yeah my 3" 29 smarts a bit with factory ammo. Gonna load some lighter Mags and then also play around with Special. At least I know I have the power if I need it!

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I keep messing with Trail Boss so I'll probably use it for some cowboy loads (less than 1000 fps). I've got some 240 gr cast lead around here that I'll use since they're handy. Sounds like a lot of guys are using Unique for .44 SPL. Anyone want to post their favorite recipe?

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Turns out the .429 bullets I had on hand around here were 225 gr and there aren't too many recipes out there for that weight. I made up some pretty light loads with 6.4 grains of Unique. We'll see how they do out of a 3" Smith 29.

Latest posts

Top Bottom