Who to reblue a S&W 27

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a S&W Model 27 that was made in 1975 that could use a little TLC. I know that it is not too old that S&W will do a blue job but I have heard that they don't do the high polish like the old days. I have heard that Fords is great too. Any help here? Eventually I would like it to be refinished to a nice deep blue like it was in its glory days, a set of presentation factory or Kurac grips, and a trigger/action job to refresh the springs. Oh yeah, get a nice carved holster for it since it is a harder to fit 5" brl!

mmcbeat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ford's will do a great job but quite frankly, those folks do not know how to run a business. Lead time is unacceptable. You might try Accurate, I have never used them to blue a gun but they have hard chromed two guns for me - great work and fast turn around.

http://www.apwcogan.com/

I am sure you are aware, any refinish job will pretty much kill any collector value for the gun. That being said, it's your gun and I say go for it if you want a nice shooter.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If its a true 5"bbl I wouldn't attempt a re-blue. Those are like hen's teeth, and a re-blue will ruin any collector's value of the gun. Its your gun, and its only my opinion, so its strictly up to you the owner. If it were mine I would just order a nice holster and belt from ElPaso Saddelry, like a Tom Threepersons, or a 1920 Austin with a cartridge belt, have it highly engraved(the leather), put some stag grips and a tyler T-grip on her and carry away!!

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I'm going to fly against the grain here. If it were mine, and I wanted it to look nice, why not get it reblued? If you don't ever plan on selling it, make it look the way you want it to.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'm going to fly against the grain here. If it were mine, and I wanted it to look nice, why not get it reblued? If you don't ever plan on selling it, make it look the way you want it to.

Thats true depending on how worn she is. If its just a little muzzle wear and a cylinder line......well you know what I mean.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd agree with that, mostly.

I just don't get some people making such a big deal about refinishing an older gun.

IE, if it was my grandpa's gun, and I remember it being perfect, then some other relative got it, let it go downhill, even if it was just a few smaller scratches, I'd want to return it to the way I remembered it with grandpa.

Or, if I'd wanted a deep gloss blued 5" 27 for years and years, and finally found one that was somewhat worn for a reasonable price, why not get it refinished? That's the way I wanted it!

Sure, if you ever think you'd resell it, keep it original, it's worth more that way. But if no one customized/restored guns, then, well, that would just be sad. I mean, I'd love to own a fantasticly deep blued high bloss S&W model 29 4" P&R, but I sure can't afford the prices they demand. And, I wasn't around when they were made. The only way I'll probably ever own one that is "like new" is if I restore one. Besides, if I paid $1500 for a like new 29, I'd never want to carry or shoot it.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd agree with that, mostly.

I just don't get some people making such a big deal about refinishing an older gun.

IE, if it was my grandpa's gun, and I remember it being perfect, then some other relative got it, let it go downhill, even if it was just a few smaller scratches, I'd want to return it to the way I remembered it with grandpa.

Or, if I'd wanted a deep gloss blued 5" 27 for years and years, and finally found one that was somewhat worn for a reasonable price, why not get it refinished? That's the way I wanted it!

Sure, if you ever think you'd resell it, keep it original, it's worth more that way. But if no one customized/restored guns, then, well, that would just be sad. I mean, I'd love to own a fantasticly deep blued high bloss S&W model 29 4" P&R, but I sure can't afford the prices they demand. And, I wasn't around when they were made. The only way I'll probably ever own one that is "like new" is if I restore one. Besides, if I paid $1500 for a like new 29, I'd never want to carry or shoot it.

Want your eye's to bug out, go here, I almost had a stroke looking at the prices.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/

mmcbeat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had two S&W M19's and an HK P7 hard chromed. For some unknown reason, the hardcore S&W folks took this to be a mortal sin but it was good to go with the hardcore HK people. Go figure?

edit to add a few details - I sent the M19's, one to AWP and one Ford's at the same time. I received the gun back from AWP in two weeks, the Ford gun took 12 weeks and the cost was more. Workmanship on both guns was excellent. The edges were still sharp, the roll marks were crisp and the holes were not dished out. Based on my experience with AWP, they got my HK P7 business.

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I appreciate it guys. I think I will just hold off on the refinish. The wear is not really that bad, a little muzzle and a light scratch on the ejector rod housing area. I have a set of Ahrends on it now but want something a little more classy and authentic looking. I figure the trigger job and spring replacement is worth it though. I wonder who would be good for that? I know I don't want to wait forever for it like Grant Cunningham or Dave Berryhill. El Paso will be looked at hard too. If I leave it original I will tend to actually carry it out in the field too. Hard to beat a .357 mag revolver with a 5" brl--especially htis one since it is so accurate with .38 spcl and .357 mag. Here is a couple pics.
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]

Latest posts

Top Bottom