Who's smokin/grillin what this weekend?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well guys, I can help you settle the dispute of whether foil wrapping or not is better. (Trying to keep from saying wrapping your meat, lol)
Lets pick a Saturday and I will serve as judge. We can have ribs, and a pork tenderloin class.

Your so sneaky trying to get a dinner for free. :D I saw right through the ruse. :D

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've done it both ways. Both ways were good. I generally don't wrap because it's not really necessary and I'm lazy. If you want to wrap your meat, wrap your meat. Nothing wrong with it either way. That said I always wrap after cooking and let it rest in a cooler wrapped in towels. To do otherwise is just sacrilegious....

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You used to be on the bbq circuit, I think you should enter.

I missed this.
"used to be" is the key term.
"used to be" is because the BBQ circuit is basically a fund raiser event for charities in the most part.

The cooks spend tons of $$ building/buying cookers, trailers, and shelters.

Cooks enter to win. Each thinks theirs is going to be the winning dish.

Here is what happens, as a charity event, most just invite local business owners/celebs to be judges. They are given a brief explanation about how the judging works and how to fill out the score cards.
Some of the judges tents get open kegs of beer or lots of wine. Not all, but a lot do.
The cooks best dishes are judged by blind tasting. The judges don't know who put in the entry, but some are so toasted by the end of the tasting, they couldn't tell a rib from a potato.

My Uncle was a judge once at the Ok state Championship in Ponca City. He told me one judge announced loudly that they didn't eat pork and was not going to judge it, so they gave the cook all zero's.
No matter what else that cook did, the rest of their entries didn't count as all zero's in one category means your toast.

Fast forward, we couldn't enter one, but volunteered to be a judge. I saw the same thing as above when I judged. It wasn't judging of the food, but a food/beer fest for the celebrity judges.

The KCBS is the parent company that sets the rules, etc. Some of the REAL BBQ cook-offs have judges that are trained to actually judge the food the cooks present.
They might not favor chicken, but they eat it and judge it for the criteria that its supposed to be judged by. Flavor, moisture, and appearance.

Sold my stick burner last year. My cookshack electric works for me now.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Swine in the evening sun tonight :)

i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_20150616_193709_zpstrq0nbq6.jpg

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
No beans, just tater salad, sliced onion and sweet corn. Just rubbed with lemon pepper, chili and garlic powder last night...........that's really simple and I'm thinking we like that rub just about as good as anything we've tried. May try a packet of cajun boil for a rub next. I'm sure a little goes a long way though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom