Why a legal knife blade length?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darth-Vang

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think I watched something concerning about blade length on youtube I think? Something about a bad guy can kill someone unnoticed in the back alleyway vs a pistol to do the same thing, a knife is quiet when you slit someone's throat vs shooting a pistol at someone, a pistol is loud and will attract a lot of attention, a knife will attract little to no attention if done right. Thus a knife is highly regulated due to that fact, also you can't really miss with a knife up close and personal, you can still possibly miss with a pistol up close.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I this another boo ha ha to self-protection?
I don't know if it's still in effect, pretty sure it's not but Okla had a blade length limit at one time. I think it was 5 or 6".
At the same time that "law" was in effect, Walmart was selling 7 to 9" fillet knives in Oklahoma in the sporting goods section of the stores.
We were out of town for a few days, when finding out our youngest son(over the legal age to stay at home alone) was under arrest and jailed for possessing an illegal knife, we went to the DA and showed him pictures of those knives on walmarts website along with the statutes from the Oklahoma official site that stated so.
New Ok laws have changed that regulation.
Immediately released and we went to the evidence clerk to retrieve his property. The clerk said he couldn't release the knife to my son. It had to be to me. WTF? I said ok and when it hit my hand, I handed it to him in front of the d+ckhead.
Now for the rest of the story.
The deputy that arrested him had been a punching bag for his older brother when growing up because he was a total d+ickhead, always starting fights and sucker punching people at parties, finally becoming an LEO. That son is currently #2 in the world Jujitsu championships in his classification.
Oldest son moved out of the state for job reasons but the d+ickhead used the younger brother as a method to get back apparently.
There are more incidents, but he stopped the son for a taillight out which was not right as he had friends following, searched his vehicle without permission saying he smelled alcohol which wasn't the case as the breathalyzer said zero, and jailed him for the fillet knife in his tackle box along with the baseball bat, glove and a bag of balls in the back of his vehicle which he determined in his report to be "offensive weapons".
Son was on a softball team and fished every time he got a chance.
Don't know where the d+ckhead is employed currently, but Kay County is not where he is now.
He got weeded out of LEO quickly, but it wasn't right that our kid had to spend a night in the slammer.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Learn something new everyday! Can you give me a link to that? I like to read about it.
Certainly! https://www.akti.org/state-knife-laws/
didn't that come about 6 or 7 years ago when they legalized switchblades
Not now, but there were.
Yes, prior to 2015 Oklahoma pretty much had the standard “Hollywood knife laws”, because most were passed on what Hollywood portrayed to be knives that only mobsters, gangs and armed robbers would carry.

They amended O.S. 21.1272 in 2015 to bring knife laws more into line with constitutional carry. It’s kinda silly to prohibit the carry of an automatic knife or dagger when you can carry a handgun or rifle openly.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know if it's still in effect, pretty sure it's not but Okla had a blade length limit at one time. I think it was 5 or 6".
At the same time that "law" was in effect, Walmart was selling 7 to 9" fillet knives in Oklahoma in the sporting goods section of the stores.
We were out of town for a few days, when finding out our youngest son(over the legal age to stay at home alone) was under arrest and jailed for possessing an illegal knife, we went to the DA and showed him pictures of those knives on walmarts website along with the statutes from the Oklahoma official site that stated so.
New Ok laws have changed that regulation.
Immediately released and we went to the evidence clerk to retrieve his property. The clerk said he couldn't release the knife to my son. It had to be to me. WTF? I said ok and when it hit my hand, I handed it to him in front of the d+ckhead.
Now for the rest of the story.
The deputy that arrested him had been a punching bag for his older brother when growing up because he was a total d+ickhead, always starting fights and sucker punching people at parties, finally becoming an LEO. That son is currently #2 in the world Jujitsu championships in his classification.
Oldest son moved out of the state for job reasons but the d+ickhead used the younger brother as a method to get back apparently.
There are more incidents, but he stopped the son for a taillight out which was not right as he had friends following, searched his vehicle without permission saying he smelled alcohol which wasn't the case as the breathalyzer said zero, and jailed him for the fillet knife in his tackle box along with the baseball bat, glove and a bag of balls in the back of his vehicle which he determined in his report to be "offensive weapons".
Son was on a softball team and fished every time he got a chance.
Don't know where the d+ckhead is employed currently, but Kay County is not where he is now.
He got weeded out of LEO quickly, but it wasn't right that our kid had to spend a night in the slammer.
I worked as a dispatcher in a small town pd. Police were just as crooked as the thugs. It was who you knew as to what you got away with. Hasn't changed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom