Why a legal knife blade length?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know if it's still in effect, pretty sure it's not but Okla had a blade length limit at one time. I think it was 5 or 6".
Not since the early '90s, at least, which would've been when I first looked it up. There might've been local ordinances on blade length, but there was nothing in the statutes. Getting caught carrying a switchblade or "dirk knife" was a felony, but there weren't any statutory blade length restrictions.

Bucky

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Retired LEO here. During my 30 years of LE there has never been a state statute regulating knife blade length. Automatic opening, gravity opening and pretty much any fixed blade knives of any blade length were illegal to carry. The exception was fixed blade knives being used while hunting or fishing were legal.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not since the early '90s, at least, which would've been when I first looked it up. There might've been local ordinances on blade length, but there was nothing in the statutes. Getting caught carrying a switchblade or "dirk knife" was a felony, but there weren't any statutory blade length restrictions.
Retired LEO here. During my 30 years of LE there has never been a state statute regulating knife blade length. Automatic opening, gravity opening and pretty much any fixed blade knives of any blade length were illegal to carry. The exception was fixed blade knives being used while hunting or fishing were legal.
I mentioned the "offensive weapon" when the son was arrested as justification of the arrest by the deputy.

Restrictions on Carry​

• It is illegal to conceal or open carry any “offensive weapon”. It is notable that “offensive weapons” can include items such as machetes or tomahawks though they are not specified. Discretion is called for in such instances since the law is a bit vague on the full definition of “offensive weapons”.
As The No Carry Law States
It is illegal to carry a weapon, “upon or about” the person, Oklahoma’s no carry law extends to items carried in a vehicle, not just on a person.

Definition of Offensive Weapon​

In Beeler v. State, the Court said that some weapons are so dangerous and deadly, that the Court may declare them to be offensive weapons as a matter of law. It also stated, that when making this determination, trial Judges should consider whether the weapon was designed for combat and capable of producing death.

What the Law States (20 years ago)​

§21-1272. UNLAWFUL CARRY
UNLAWFUL CARRY

A. IT SHALL BE UNLAWFUL FOR ANY PERSON TO CARRY UPON OR ABOUT HIS OR HER PERSON, OR IN A PURSE OR OTHER CONTAINER BELONGING TO THE PERSON, ANY PISTOL, REVOLVER, SHOTGUN OR RIFLE WHETHER LOADED OR UNLOADED OR ANY BLACKJACK, LOADED CANE, BILLY, HAND CHAIN, METAL KNUCKLES, OR ANY OTHER OFFENSIVE WEAPON, WHETHER SUCH WEAPON BE CONCEALED OR UNCONCEALED, EXCEPT THIS SECTION

This offense happened over 20 years ago. Long before current statutes. The d+ckhead deputy took the letter of the law way too far.
My memory of blade length may be off, or a local thing, but I'll do some more research. None the less, the son was arrested and jailed without justification.

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In Beeler v. State, the Court said that some weapons are so dangerous and deadly, that the Court may declare them to be offensive weapons as a matter of law. It also stated, that when making this determination, trial Judges should consider whether the weapon was designed for combat and capable of producing death.
A load of bs! Makes me sad there are such laws that makes any common person a criminal if the law so chooses.

Similar to the bs law about possesion of burgler tools!

Every contractor, or do-it-yourselfer is in possession of burgulary tools!

Or open container laws.

Open container laws create a litter problem!
Drinkers gotta play it safe and toss the evidence out the window! Grrr!

I would love to be on a jury in such cases, I would laugh at such laws as I write my not guilty vote for such offenses!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A load of bs! Makes me sad there are such laws that makes any common person a criminal if the law so chooses.

Similar to the bs law about possesion of burgler tools!

Every contractor, or do-it-yourselfer is in possession of burgulary tools!

Or open container laws.

Open container laws create a litter problem!
Drinkers gotta play it safe and toss the evidence out the window! Grrr!

I would love to be on a jury in such cases, I would laugh at such laws as I write my not guilty vote for such offenses!
There are so many stupid laws out there that contain language that can be determined to be an offense that it's impossible to keep up with them.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
D***heads are everywhere. Some find their way into LE. Unfortunately, the Blue Line tends to cover for them, instead of identifying, exposing and eliminating them.

Management in many professions tend to accept, protect the worst of the employees and not correct the problems.

Latest posts

Top Bottom