Why aren't these in production?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1. Two of the all-time favorites for CCW were the S&W 3913 and the HK P7 (and other similar model numbers in those series).
Any time you see a review or comment, or one of these comes available, people give them glowing reports. So, why did S&W and HK quit making them?

2. Why isn't Glock going to make a single stack 9mm?
I say that it is NOT so much the often heard argument about "They already have such a large market share with what they produce now..." as it is based on a key design feature: I think the Glock's MAGAZINE design prevents it from being made to anywhere near the thiness of guns such as the Kahr series of single stack 9mm pistols. Sure, they have the Glock 36, but it is 1.13" wide as compared to the Glock 19/23/32 at 1.18''. That's not much...and the width of the Glock 21/30 is 1.28"; if I recall correctly. So, the Glock 36 is like 0.15" thinner than it's double stack .45 ACP cousins? If they were to make a single stack 9mm, I doubt they could get that magazine down to a size that would let them get anywhere near the sub-1" range they'd need to be "competitive" with Kahr's 0.9" width.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sales numbers and manufacturing costs are two reasons these are no longer in production. As for the single stack Glock, you'd have to assume that Glock is responsive to the wishes of their customers. They aren't.

Rob72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
P7s are highly labor intensive to make. Yeah, CNC changes the model, but not that much. Ferrari doesn't sell may units/annum, either, but they can't if they want to maintain the quality and "elitism" and "savoir-faire" that their name currently carries. HK can- that's why we have the USP selling at $600+. :owned3:

The 3913 is nice, but again, pricepoint is the issue. They can't compete with Glock, though they are trying to make inroads with the Walther acquisition.

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've heard it's the import laws that are currently keeping Glock or Springfield from making single stack. If Glock ever moves more of their handgun production to the US it could be a possibility. Same thing with the XD/XDMs which a made in Croatia. S&W and their M&P line have the most promise since they are 100% American made. If enough folks email S&W asking for and promising to purchase a compact single stack M&P based pistol, I bet they'd listen.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've heard it's the import laws that are currently keeping Glock or Springfield from making single stack. If Glock ever moves more of their handgun production to the US it could be a possibility. Same thing with the XD/XDMs which a made in Croatia. S&W and their M&P line have the most promise since they are 100% American made. If enough folks email S&W asking for and promising to purchase a compact single stack M&P based pistol, I bet they'd listen.

True, import laws may have a major bearing on the single stack 9mm Glock question...I don't know enough about it to comment more; perhaps an expert on the subject will chime in.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

The M&P slide would need to go on a diet. It's a little too fat to top a single stack.

Latest posts

Top Bottom