Why do people in the gun community belittle newcomers to forums?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

peanut

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I would think that we as a community of gun lovers would try to encourage new members and help guide and instruct them in the ways of the forum, instead of belittleing and talking down to them and run them away from the community.

Come on, support, encourage, welcome, not beat down and show how much of an arse you can be.

I'm done

Last edited by a moderator:

david04

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While I'm not aware of any particular cases on this forum, I've observed the type of behavior you described on many internet forums, of various topics. It seems that many times a few people seem to consider the forum as their own little "kingdom" and fight against anyone who dares to question their superior knowledge. Another thing I've seen (elsewhere) is that a newbie will ask a question, and maybe it's really kind of a dumb question, but the forum "Lords" will interpret the question as a troll or shill of some sort and really let him have it. Sometimes this goes overboard.

All that to say, It's not just gun forums, it's all types.

Tinbender75

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah it aggravates me too. Wrong forum, try the search feature, it's magazine not clip stupid etc... I try to be friendly to new people we need all the allies we can get. I take new people to the range with me often.

TMA-1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Definitely not a "gun forum" thing so much as a "forum" thing. People tend to say things over the keyboard that they would never say in person. Anonymity can bring out the worst in people.

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It seemed as though it was a possible spam post at first. I tried to encourage him to stick out the initial onslaught, but he didn't seem to want to. But he is still lurking, so maybe he will pop up again.

Eddymonster

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Reason it happens is because you have jackasses on every forum. Some are bullies and most have been bullied and are to scared to do it in real life so they use the safety of computer screens to belittle people and forget why we are all here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom