Why does muzzle velocity increase with barrel heat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
As the barrel heats, it expands, making the bore smaller in diameter than a cool one, therefore increasing the pressure behind the bullet to push it out, as stated above.

Yourshoesareuntied

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I understand increased pressure "normally" means increased muzzle velocity, but it seems that a hot barrel means the bore is slightly larger or expanded, and that makes me think the bullet will slip through the barrel with less friction therefore reducing pressure and muzzle velocity.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lol. In a semi auto, or a full auto, the rounds are ambient temp if fired rapidly. When I was shooting the M60, and it was hot, a cook-off was pretty common.
I doubt most on here have put that many rounds through a barrel.
Like has been said, the barrel expands in two directions. Inward and outward. Its not much, but it will make a difference.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lol. In a semi auto, or a full auto, the rounds are ambient temp if fired rapidly. When I was shooting the M60, and it was hot, a cook-off was pretty common.
I doubt most on here have put that many rounds through a barrel.
Like has been said, the barrel expands in two directions. Inward and outward. Its not much, but it will make a difference.

Oh dude, now i really miss my pig. Well, Uncle Sams pig which was lent to me for several glorious years.

Latest posts

Top Bottom