Why I like the .45ACP

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i977.photobucket.com_albums_ae259_zdadthrice_Pistolas_handgungel_comparison_176.jpg

I think the above photo compilation was made in 1989. With all of the advancements in bullet design since that time, I'll wager the results would be even closer today.

Well I guess your assuming that advancements in bullet design is good only in the 9mm. That assumption has always stumped me.

S

Smokin

I like .45 ACP because I shoot it well and ammunition is readily available. That being said I would carry any of the defensive calibers and feel fine as long as the weapon was accurate, intuitive to operate, and reliable.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i977.photobucket.com_albums_ae259_zdadthrice_Pistolas_handgungel_comparison_176.jpg

I think the above photo compilation was made in 1989. With all of the advancements in bullet design since that time, I'll wager the results would be even closer today.

What cracks me up is that people look at that chart and for some reason assume a near equality. If you look there's quite a bit of disruption difference between the rounds..... and that's even back in 1989. :D

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've killed several deer with the Kimber in .45acp since it became legal. With proper placement, it kills one just as fast as my 30-06.
Also a bobcat killed with the same gun. Sierra 240 grain HP with a full load of H110, my standard loading.

I'm curious about using H-110 for .45ACP. What charge do you use?

I've loaded .45ACP +P using Hodgdon HS-6 and it's a butt kicker that'll push a .45ACP 230gr bullet out the end of a 5" barrel at 1050 FPS. I can't imagine using H-110 which is a slower burning higher pressure powder than HS-6 and is primarily used for magnum cartridges. Seems as if you'd have to download it to stay in the +P pressure range of a .45ACP and Hodgdon recommends against using light loads of H-110 (or they used to anyway).

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm curious about using H-110 for .45ACP. What charge do you use?

I've loaded .45ACP +P using Hodgdon HS-6 and it's a butt kicker that'll push a .45ACP 230gr bullet out the end of a 5" barrel at 1050 FPS. I can't imagine using H-110 which is a slower burning higher pressure powder than HS-6 and is primarily used for magnum cartridges. Seems as if you'd have to download it to stay in the +P pressure range of a .45ACP and Hodgdon recommends against using light loads of H-110 (or they used to anyway).
Sorry, brain fart on my end. Should have said Unique for the .ACP. I had just finished loading some .44 mag rounds, and had H110 on my mind.

streetglideok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What cracks me up is that people look at that chart and for some reason assume a near equality. If you look there's quite a bit of disruption difference between the rounds..... and that's even back in 1989. :D

One problem, there wasnt a 357SIG in 1989. Maybe 1999? Ive seen the same chart, with a 10mm on there as well. It really puts things into perspective.

Latest posts

Top Bottom