Why is my 7.62x51 brass hard to size?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can you anneal the brass ro make it run thru the sizing process easier?
I'm not sure if this will work, just wondering.

I've done some 30-06 that was way to difficult to run thru the dies. I got them thru the process, but I was wondering if I was going to rip the case apart or bend the handle on my press. Now those pieces took the bullet seat just fine, but some were hard to chamber in the gun, & a few wouldn't even chamber. That is when I got to doing some measuring & fot a "Go-no go" guage. The entire body of some of that brass were so oversized even after forcing them thru the dies I just smashed them & tossed them into the scrap bucket.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Strip some THHN solid coper wire of it's insulation.
Cut into a length 2.25 X longer than the case.

Bend the bare copper wire in half with your fingers and insert it into a bad case.

Place that "Junk" case on a block of wood with a hole drilled into it like a reloading block.

Pour molten lead into that case and let cool.

You now have a case with a loop of copper wire sticking out of the case mouth that is full of lead that you can tie your fishing line to.
Best casting sinker you will ever hate to lose.
Works well on jug lines also if you like lighter weights on a jug.

You are welcome :)

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My buddy that reloads 308 loves my once fired ZQI brass. I shoot it through my M1919 and he actually preferred it over my once fired Gold Medal Match brass that went through my bolt gun. I will have to ask him if he had any issues resizing it but I would guess if it was a pain or he feared it being problematic he would not have wanted it.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay my buddy said he's processed/reloaded/shot about a thousand pieces of my once fired ZQI and has never had an issue with sizing it. I would think if a gun was going to have a loose chamber or be hard on brass, it would be my M1919.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
I tried sizing some 7.62x51 brass I had because I have the bit to take out the military primer crimp now and I figured I could finally put this brass to good use. This is once fired, odd headstamp brass from back when I had a DPMS .308. It was stuff Walmart used to sell that’s all I remember. (After a quick Google search I think it may have been ZQI brand. Anyone heard of it?)

Anyways, here’s some detail.. I lubed it like I normally do my .308 brass which I never have a problem with and this stuff WAS A PAIN to size. It was so hard on the upstroke I only did 3 and gave up because I was worried about getting a stuck case. All the other military brass I have that was factory reloads from Amer-I-Can ammo sizes just fine but this once fired stuff I have is a pain. Does anyone have any insight? Thanks again guys.
Anneal them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom