Wichita Cabela's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I dont understand this. Is Cabela's scared of the competition from Bass Pro?

If they are, then Kum&Go has serious balls building new sites considering QT cannot be matched. :anyone:

They may be weighing how much of a market there would be for their products in a small city like Tulsa or OKC, given that BPS is already there. There are only so many purchasing dollars for luxury stuff around here; Kum&Go is tapping into a much larger market for a necessary product (gasoline) and the accessory stuff that go with it.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They may be weighing how much of a market there would be for their products in a small city like Tulsa or OKC, given that BPS is already there. There are only so many purchasing dollars for luxury stuff around here; Kum&Go is tapping into a much larger market for a necessary product (gasoline) and the accessory stuff that go with it.

+1... why compete and try to outsell each other. Both, in the absence of each other, are able to co-alpha the yuppie dollars at full MSRP + their own brand Ed items at a discounted rate, yet still the same profit margin. Competition is the evil axis of capitalism. (from an owner/corporate standpoint at least)

ArmyOfJuan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will say this. I was a kid when I tried to go to Cabela's in Sydney NE to buy a sleeping bag. That was when they were still a little store in town. The weekend that I went was the weekend that the first Cabela's store (that you all know and love) opened. We went outside of town and saw the mega store that it is now. It was like no other. I have NEVER seen anything like that store up to date. It was absolutely beautiful and amazing at the same time. For a few years, it became an annual stop on my family's way to go trout fishing in CO and WY.

A few years ago, I made it back to Sydney NE, to the original, the pilot, the original Cabela's. So disappointed. It looked like a WalMart version of what I remembered. Personally, I'm sticking with the catalog.

Stephen Cue

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

+1... why compete and try to outsell each other. Both, in the absence of each other, are able to co-alpha the yuppie dollars at full MSRP + their own brand Ed items at a discounted rate, yet still the same profit margin. Competition is the evil axis of capitalism. (from an owner/corporate standpoint at least)

Good points.

Latest posts

Top Bottom