Wild Game Recipes ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I need to stick my head in the door a little more often ... these duck recipes sound really good ... :droolin I'm hoping to get a drake this fall and raise some ducks to butcher because I'll freely admit it ... My dad used to take me duck hunting with him when I was a kid. I liked the eating but not the hunting ... :nono1: It was cold ... and it was wet, which wasn't all that big a deal ... cold is bad enough ... wet and cold is just NOT my thing! :(

Anybody have any good recipes for ground venison?? I have several packages but I've never cooked ground venison before ... Thanks!! :heart:

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I need to stick my head in the door a little more often ... these duck recipes sound really good ... :droolin I'm hoping to get a drake this fall and raise some ducks to butcher because I'll freely admit it ... My dad used to take me duck hunting with him when I was a kid. I liked the eating but not the hunting ... :nono1: It was cold ... and it was wet, which wasn't all that big a deal ... cold is bad enough ... wet and cold is just NOT my thing! :(

Anybody have any good recipes for ground venison?? I have several packages but I've never cooked ground venison before ... Thanks!! :heart:

Oops I gave you meat and didn't tell ya how to fix it.
PM Deer Slayer or DennisHoddy for the ground venison recipe we have at elk camp. It is good stuff. I usually make snack sticks, chili or hamburger helper with my ground.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oops I gave you meat and didn't tell ya how to fix it.
PM Deer Slayer or DennisHoddy for the ground venison recipe we have at elk camp. It is good stuff. I usually make snack sticks, chili or hamburger helper with my ground.

:rotflmao: No worries ... I have some ground venison from LoneWolf'49 too. GC won't eat it so I've been a little lax in getting around to cooking any. I'll holler at DeerSlayer. Chili sounds good. I was thinking about trying it in a potato hash recipe I have too ...

willystruck

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use ground venison just like ground beef in meatloaf, spaggetti sauce, beef stroganoff and other main dish meals. Just have to make allowance for no added fat. I use 2 lbs of venison with 1 lb of fatty gnd beef for meatloaf. Add 1 med diced onion, several stalks of celery diced small and a can of diced tomatoes to the mixture in addition to your normal ingredients. Makes great meatloaf!
Tip! When using venison or other very lean meat in meatloaf, meat balls or other recipes where you would like it to hold together, add a couple Tbs of powdered milk per pound of meat when mixing.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Smothered Venison Burgers - Dennis Hoddy's killer venison, elk, recipe. 2 pounds of ground venison, 1 medium onion - finely chop 1/2 and reserve the balance. 1 medium green pepper - finely chop 1/2 and reserve the balance. favorite meat seasoning such as Head Country Rub or Lowry's - add seasoning to taste. 2 cans mushroom soup. 1 can onion soup. 1 baking dish.

Blend the ground meat with chopped onion and green pepper. Brown meat in a skillet. Placed the browned patties in baking dish and cover with onion soup, mushroom soup and the balance of the pepper and onion sliced and laid on top. Bake at 375 degs. for 2 hours. Spoon over a pile of steamed rice. People will rave over this. I use this recipe to feed the children and mentors that annually attend the Oklahoma Youth Hunting Program deer hunt. They can never get enough and eat all the leftovers, then ask for the recipe.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ground Venison chili - I use Williams seasoning mix, plus 1 15oz can of Ranch Style Beans per lb of meat. As you brown meat, add seasoning, also healthy doses of chili powder, cumin, garlic and onion powder. I usually throw in a freezer bag full of last year's tomatoes as well. Salt as needed. Add some Fritos, cheese and fresh hot peppers....

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Smothered Venison Burgers - Dennis Hoddy's killer venison, elk, recipe. 2 pounds of ground venison, 1 medium onion - finely chop 1/2 and reserve the balance. 1 medium green pepper - finely chop 1/2 and reserve the balance. favorite meat seasoning such as Head Country Rub or Lowry's - add seasoning to taste. 2 cans mushroom soup. 1 can onion soup. 1 baking dish.

Blend the ground meat with chopped onion and green pepper. Brown meat in a skillet. Placed the browned patties in baking dish and cover with onion soup, mushroom soup and the balance of the pepper and onion sliced and laid on top. Bake at 375 degs. for 2 hours. Spoon over a pile of steamed rice. People will rave over this. I use this recipe to feed the children and mentors that annually attend the Oklahoma Youth Hunting Program deer hunt. They can never get enough and eat all the leftovers, then ask for the recipe.

Appreciate it. GC won't touch it :scratch: but I like to try new things so I'm gonna lay some ground venison out to thaw today. Go figure ... he won't eat rabbit either ... :scratch: Won't even try it ... :scratch:

Oh well ... Guess I better throw another recipe in so the thread's not hijacked ... :lookaroun

Here's a good rabbit recipe. I like that it doesn't require a TON of stuff to fix ... just rabbit, garlic salt and beer ... :naughty:

Beer Basted Rabbit

Rabbit
Beer
Salt and Pepper
Garlic

Marinate rabbit in beer for at least 2 hours. Fire up grill. Pat rabbit dry and season with salt, pepper, and garlic to taste. Place rabbit on cooler part of grill and cook, basting every 10 minutes with beer (pop open a fresh can).

I serve with with a cucumber/yogurt sauce like what you get with gyros ... here it is ...

Cucumber Sauce

1 cup greek yogurt
1 cup chopped cucumber
1/2 tsp grated garlic
1/2 tsp finely chopped dill
1/4 tsp prepared mustard (Grey Poupon, not French's)
1/4 tsp garlic powder
white pepper to taste

Lay the cucumber on paper towels or in a colander over the sink to drain for a bit. Keeps the sauce from being too watery. Mix it all together (you can use sour cream instead of yogurt if you want). Best if you make the day before and let "simmer" in the fridge overnight.

Make a pot of brown rice, or some naan to go with it, add some sliced cucumbers, red peppers and onions to nibble on the side and you have yourself a pretty good meal ...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom