Winchester Black Talon Ammo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back when the news media forced winchester to stop making it we had people come in the store and buy some that didn't even own a handgun. I guess they figured it would go up in value and they would make some money.

if they have been called white talons the news media would never have said a word.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i have two boxes of 45 one doesn't even have the black coating on it but still say's black talon on the box. bought them new at southwest shooters years ago

thefenux

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Wikipedia article on it was pretty informative, if memory serves. It was the beginning of the Ranger-T line. They rebranded it after all the bad press about it being "cop killer ammo" and "armor piercing" (It isn't.)

The Winchester PDX1 is the latest from the same line and they sell that at Wal-Mart. :) The PDX1 is probably also a lot better at killing people than the Black Talon.

Personally, I happened upon 5 rounds of 9mm earlier this year. I shot one to say I had. The rest will eventually be shot into milk jugs to compare with other bullets.

Kid Glock

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I read an article, (I think it was ARFCOM) that said the black talon hype/court thing was bogus.
Not to hijack and IIRC, there was an attorney or investment broker/banker, etc. killed by a disgruntled former client using BT. I also think this happened in the worst place in the world to happen... Commiefornia.
The media picked up on it and I guess being a slow news day, blew it out of proportion. I even think there may have been a 60 Minutes episode about it. This along with having "black" in the name, prompted the folks at Olin to make some changes. Don't recall it ever going to court over it but hey, I'm old and this happened a long time ago...

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They are Teflon coated, High Velocity Cop Killers, made to penetrate any Bulletproof Vest ever made, even with Trauma plates.

They are illegal in all 50 states, and carry a mandatory 25 year prison sentence in the federal pen, just for possessing them.

They never miss a target, the bullet mushrooms to 10 times it's original size, death is instantaneous no matter what part of the body they hit.

Latest posts

Top Bottom