Wood planer service needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soonerman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 12-5/8 W x 12/4 thick White Oak rough-sawn mantle that I need to have planed flat. It is dry now but had a little cupping. Probably end ip removing a good 3/4” in the end.

Roughly 62” in length.

Anyone in the Edmond-OKC-Moore-Norman area willing to plane it?

Let me know and what you need in exchange. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, flattening via a thickness planer. Cupped side down until flat, then flip over and repeat.
You can give it a whirl...

I have a planer and wouldn't use it for that piece.

Using a router sled to surface it, or a CNC router will get it flat, the standard for any live edge slab work.

Good luck to you.

soonerman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah I could do that, but I’d have to build another router sled. I’ll see how things work out and maybe I can go that route. Done it before on 12x12 walnut pedastal.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had three 8 foot by 12" by 3" thick slabs of cedar I made and they were cupped a little. I have a planer and that long of a piece did nothing but remove a lot of material but the cup remained.
It just does not feed without cutting wood.

I did make what @Shoot Summ mentioned a sled and attached a router to it and counter sunk another piece of wood very evenly.
Fits on top of my stove with burner covers on the stove and and rests on the counters on both sides of the stove.
A big piece of wood that adds more counter space for serving food after all the cooking is finished.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah I could do that, but I’d have to build another router sled. I’ll see how things work out and maybe I can go that route. Done it before on 12x12 walnut pedastal.
Last one I made out of scrap plywood, base and 2 sides, an existing sled for the router I have already made out of plywood. That is the easy part, the work is running back and forth along the slab 1 1/2" at a time for multiple passes, not to mention the amount of saw dust it generates.

I have a guy local that is $60 an hour for CNC time, he would likely do your piece in an hour, money well spent...

red dirt shootist

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Your problem is the size of the piece, not a lot of planers around here that can handle 12" thick. You need to find someone around here with a 16" jointer. The difference between flattening and planning is a moot point on a 12x12, it won't flex. There are some guys downtown that fool around with reclaimed wood, and There is Custom Cutting in OKC.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Your problem is the size of the piece, not a lot of planers around here that can handle 12" thick. You need to find someone around here with a 16" jointer. The difference between flattening and planning is a moot point on a 12x12, it won't flex. There are some guys downtown that fool around with reclaimed wood, and There is Custom Cutting in OKC.

It’s 12/4, which is 3” thick. A planer could work with a 3/4” thick piece of MDF or plywood underneath, along with wood shims to keep the piece level as the whole assembly is fed through the planer. I’ve done this before as well as using router sleds on pieces too wide to fit through my 20” planer.

Latest posts

Top Bottom