Woodmaster 742 jams

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Woodmaster 742 that keeps jamming. I completely took it apart and replaced the bolt latch which was broken. Got everything back together, cycled a few times, then it jams again.

Any one have any insight or suggestions concerning this issue?

Any recommendations for a gun smith in Tulsa area?

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
742/740,7400 Remington rifles are subject to fail if the rails that the bolt runs on have excessive wear. The rails are an integral part of the receiver- a gunsmith could tell you if that's the problem.

Cedar Creek

maat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'm going to disassemble it tonight and give it a really good scrubbing. If I can't get it to cycle properly, I'm going to take it to a gunsmith.

JMSTactical

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Woodmaster 742 that keeps jamming. I completely took it apart and replaced the bolt latch which was broken. Got everything back together, cycled a few times, then it jams again.

Any one have any insight or suggestions concerning this issue?

Any recommendations for a gun smith in Tulsa area?

I worked on one for a friend of mine about a year ago, and when dissassembled, there was pitting on the inside of the receiver and on the slide.. My friend's rifle was beyond repair because it had gotten wet and then stored for a whole season.
If you live in the Tulsa area, I would have no problem whatsoever taking a peek at it for you... Gratis..
Just reach out to me at [email protected] if you need any help.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
742/740,7400 Remington rifles are subject to fail if the rails that the bolt runs on have excessive wear. The rails are an integral part of the receiver- a gunsmith could tell you if that's the problem.

Cedar Creek

Yes My experience also. These rifles have a definite lifespan.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cedar Creek and olyeller -- Thanks for the heads up. I learned something.
I've seen used models of those rifles for sale and now I know to be cautious about considering one.
I would be, too. Like the other guys, I've heard those things are trouble waiting to happen.

Latest posts

Top Bottom