Ok, so I went and did it now.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I dropped one of my bolt carrier groups on the floor. Bent up the gas key a bit, and I'm sure it will never be the same again. Kind of makes it a friction fit with the gas tube now. Not good.

So, I can buy a replacement gas key, that's no problem. But I don't have an India stone nor an $80 staking jig, so I'll be left kind of left holding an incomplete item. Any recommendations for someone in the Tulsa area to complete the key installation task (properly) that will be fairly inexpensive? Or should I just buy a new carrier group and be done with it?

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like you will not use the dropped one.
SOOOO If it was me I would get the hammer out and some steel rods and find one that fits inside the hole and Tap Tap Tap and try to fix it.

You are considering it junk at the moment anyway so ya can't break it.

I tried that a little bit, didn't work too well, but I don't have adequate sized rods.

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No nails outside in a fence post you can sand down or welding rod you can chuck up in a drill or drill press and take a file and sandpaper and custom size it???

Just trying to think of stuff for you.

Or drill bits turned around backwards :)
Made many a pins in the field over the years out of Screwdrivers. Cut the handle off chuck up in a drill, file close to size, then finish with sand paper and cut to length. If they need braded, drill a hole in each end about 2/3 rds of pin size. This will allow them to roll over on the edges.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No nails outside in a fence post you can sand down or welding rod you can chuck up in a drill or drill press and take a file and sandpaper and custom size it???

Just trying to think of stuff for you.

Or drill bits turned around backwards :)

Thanks. Drill bits are either too big or just too small. A tapered nail set seems to work pretty well physically. I'm going to experiment with that for a bit.

Latest posts

Top Bottom